Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad's friend owns a used car dealership. He's starting to look for a car for me and I had to have a truck and I had to have a Chevy. Between the ramifications my dad set, I think it's pretty much set that my dad's friend is looking for a 1996 either GMC or Chevy S truck. It will be 4.3, 2wd which sucks, and possibly manual trans. I am wondering what you all think about this. What are your experiences with these-like em, loath em, and why? Thanks for any help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would love to have a '94 or newer body style, and 2wd wouldn't be too bad (less stuff to tear out for a SFA swap). /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
Can your Dad adopt me for a couple of months? /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

He who toots his own horn is talking out of his A$$.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You must beg your dad for 4WD.

Really seriously beg him.

A friend of mine has that a 2WD S-10 '00 and he was in the same situation you are in "his dad also would buy him a pick up" and my friend would do anything to have a 4x4.

·
Registered
805 Posts
You must do whatever it takes to get the 4x4. I had a 2WD S-10 and had to trade it for my Z71. I was tired of being stuck every time it snowed

1994 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT. Trailmaster 4" lift

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And the benefits of having a 2WD truck are..........

Yes I know there are benefits but WTF I mean if you're going to get a truck get a 4x4. You will be much better off w/ a 4x4.

I also know there are people that would argue w/ me that I am wrong (dune racing, jumping w/ a 2WD)....but from where you are much better off w/ a 4x4.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I can't get a 4x4 is that I have to get a "practical" vehicle with good gas mileage etc. Also, by dad won't let me purchase a vehicle worth more than $7000, basically because we only carry liability. I cannot afford the extra insurance. I may be able to afford the gas, but the initial purchase of a 4X4 S-10 with in the nieghborhood of 70,000 miles will exceed $7000. This vehicle has to last me through college probably, and I have to pay him back all the loan, no interest luckily. He just keeps on saying there is more parts to break, which is true, but it doesn't mean that it will explode because it's 4X4. Oh well, sorry guys I CANNOT persuade him. I already tried three or four times. But, from the feedback you guys gave me, I don't think that I'll be too disapointed with a 4X2. Also you have to understand what my brothers before me had. My oldest brother has a 1991 Firebird V6 Auto, pushing 130,000 miles. My second oldest brother has a 1995 Camaro V6 Auto with about 80,000 miles I think. Neither are sports cars if you ask me, and neither are fun in the winter, TRUST ME. I did plenty o pushing the Camaro this winter in the ****ty midwest winters. I think that this S-10 with a couple sand tubes in the back will be the closest to off-roading I will come until I have some more money farther down the road.

·
Registered
805 Posts
keep a snow shovel with you. Snow makes a good weight when it hits you unexpectedly.

When I had my 2WD S-10 I used that method a few times and it helps earn a few points with the boss when you shovel their sidewalks just so you can get home /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1994 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT. Trailmaster 4" lift

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Get an older one. Don't look at this new stuff. Go for one in the late 80's to early 90's. You can get a heck of a deal on them. Plus (in my opinion) the older squared off body style is far better...

The 4x4 equipment on a vehicle will subtract only a negligable amount from your gas mileage. Not very much extra weight, etc...

Have him talk to us... Even if it's just for snow and on-road use, 4x4 is far better. Stucks suck, so if you're listening "dad" let this guy get something that isn't likely to get stuck. 4x.

The ones with the 4.3L are very reliable. Plus these are plentiful in parts yards, meaning that rather than buying things from expensive parts stores, you can go to a "junk" yard and grab parts for very little money, slap it in, and be on your way again, without spending ludicrous amounts of money for newer stuff.

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hopefully ... if you want to....get your dad to read these threads...or just print it out for him to make things easier.

Dad,

My friend has a 2WD S-10 he absolutely loved it at first, until he started to get stuck. Get this he was just turning around on a dirt road...no mud was involved.

The 4x4 is has many more +s then the 2WD. 1) it is so much harder to get stuck in a 4x4. 2) as mentioned above the gas mileage is barly effected 3) your son will be happy 4) just do it dad /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

ok i hope this helps you out!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gosh, I am getting more than I bargained for. The slogan for the bbs should be more help than you needed. Basically it's the newer S-10 two wheel drive or no truck at all. Another choice was Dodge Dakota Sport, but those get awful mileage, transmissions are junk, and it isn't bow tied. Thanks J_T_S, but my dad snapped about 4x4 the last time I brought it up, anyways I wouldn't be able to afford a 4x4 with about 70,000. I can get basically whatever I want, but when I have to get something with about 70,000 miles, good gas mileage, and when they pay insurance and the initial amount for the car until I pay him back- it really lowers my decision and persuasion power. Again, anyone know about the grill compatability? Thanks a lot so far everyone, you have been a big help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why do you have to get something w/ 70,000 or around that ball park?

I hope you're not saying that thanks b/c your dad snapped at you for bringing it up. Sorry about that if that is the case.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
get the 2WD, don't drive foolishly in the winter and when you get out of college do an SFA/V8 swap.
It will be a new vehicle and it will probably be paid for by then!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Good luck

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Why around 70,000??? These things last a lot longer with that if you can find one that's been decently maintained. And as I was saying earlier if something does go out, go to a parts yard around you and just grab some replacements. It's cheap.

The other reason for thinking of an older one is insurance. Not as high as it would be for something in the late 90's..

Just because it's got slightly higher miles on it doesn't make it unreliable... I'm amazed at how many people run out and buy newer cars used thinking it'll some how be better than a better deal on an older one. Let's go through a hypothetical situation, shall we?

Newer truck. Spend $7,000. Have higher insurance rates. Plus if it's not been maintained the greatest, you have high repair bills to tack onto that.

Older one (late 80's). These can be had for as little as $2000-$3000 still in fine mechanical shape. For that price you'll likely end up with one that has 4x4. With the older one you have lower insurance rates, plus if something breaks you'll still be into the vehicle for less money since parts are cheaper and they're easier to diagnose problems on than the newer ones. And the late 80's still had the 4.3L (but check it out closely, since they also had the 2.8L which is slightly less desirable) and fuel injection and got pretty good gas mileage (as long as you kept your foot on the throttle lightly, which is what's needed to get decent gas mileage in all but honda civics and toyota camrys).

With the pros and cons listed out, I still can't understand how you are choosing to get a newer one... Oh well, not my decision, and that being said, this is likely my last reply to this thread... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't let sandman rattle you, I have not seen ANY decent 4x4's for that price.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I have seen a few (4x) in the past for that price. But I mixed two arguments into one. Comparing 2wd to 2wd now. I have seen innumerable 2wd S trucks in that price range with decent body and decent components. Which would still put one as being better off financially than spending perhaps even double or triple the money... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I'm not trying to rattle anyone, nor am I trying to intimidate anyone or any such thing. Best time to buy a truck by the way (4x at least) is in the Spring, when people are unloading trucks they bought in Fall for winter. This assumes you're in the snow belt. I'm unsure of when the best season to buy a truck is elsewhere. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I don't think Sand_man is going to respond to your post 283_4x4.

If you wanna go w/ the 2WD go for it! You will love the truck to death....as long as you don't have any 4x4 buddies. B/c that is how my 2WD friend is......

All in all just be happy with what you have and thankful for having a vhicle! Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your right sandman, I misunderstood and thought that you were talking about a 4x4 for that price. /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif I agree, you can find plenty of 2WD's for that price. Sorry, my bad.

As a side note:

I too would rather have 4x than a 2x./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif If I did have a 2x though, it wouldn't be that way for long! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have an 96-S10 two whel drive 4cylinder 5 speed it's a good street truck very dependable good gas mileage but not any thing that I would take off road and if I live in Illinois where you have bad winters I would either sell it or drive another vehicle in the winter out side of that it is a nice truck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. Actually both my older brothers have f-bodys that they drive year round. My oldest brother's is a '91 Firebird V6 and my other brother's is a '96 Camaro V6 that they drive in the winter. My dad will only let me get a 4x4 if I pay insurance and full initial purchase which I cannot do. A V6 S-10 is the closest thing to a real truck that I can afford that my dad will let me get. I'll just throw a couple sand tubes in the back when things get pretty snowy. My brother with the Camaro went through this winter on nearly bald tires and that wasn't fun. I think that if I carry some sand in the back and have enough tread on the tires in the winter, I won't get stuck much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts