Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local Ford Dealer yesterday at lunch to try and find a higher output alternator for my '96 5.0l Bronco. I had the parts guy look up what would fit and he said the closest was the 130amp alternator from a 1995 5.0l Mustang. He said that he was not sure if it would "clock" right so he was hesitant to sell it to me.

Has anyone used this alternator from the '95 Mustang? If so is it working correctly? It is a direct bolt in or will I have to mod brackets, wireing etc?

Is there another high output alternator that I should be looking at? Ford wants $235.00 plus core on the old one...
Thanks in advance

Dave Couch

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Dave

WD-40s got you in touch with one of the threads on the subject. There's a lot more threads on here on the board on the subject. It's worth doing a search as I was not the first to do this swap at all. In fact most of the info available was for you serpentine belt guys and not for a V-belter like myself and my 86.

Like I said, do a search on the net for Bronco 130 amp alternator conversions and visit the Mustang sites as they're a wealth of info on the later motors. Your serpentine system should be easier electrically than my V-belt conversion was, though I think you do need to clearence grind one of your brackets.

Also, if a Canadian can get a re-manufactured 130 amp alternator for $127 American, surely you can beat that price down there. Anymore questions let me know.

Sixlitre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sixlitre, I have been following the threads but I was unsure when the guy at Ford said that it might not work.

Dave Couch

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Dave

The clocking might be the only trouble, other than the clearance grinding on the bracket. If you buy the alternator from a re-manufacturer and tell him/her (ha!) what you're up to, he'll clock it (turn the case one third) to fit your application.

Do it, it solved all my electrical inadequecies.

Sixlitre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah! so that is what clocking is... The parts guy at Ford mentioned that it would be a problem...

dc

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Rotating altenators

I had this same dilemna when i bought a replacement altenator for my truck, and it was even the same one that was on there before! (go figure!)

You take out all 3 case bolts, and rotate the half of the case (that doesnt have wires attached to it) clockwise until the holes all line up again. (one third of the way)
In some instances, if you dont do this, the plug points in towards the engine, and you cant get at the wires.
If you do this, be very careful that you do not rotate the middle of the altenator, or youll screw up the field, or break a wire. Either way, (if you do rotate the middle) you will drastically reduce the life of your altenator. (That is, if it still works)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts