Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks I am new to your board, and I wanted to throw you all a question. I just purchased a 82 cherokee chief loaded out nicely all stock, but its been setting for 4 years, The 76 year old original owner broke off a piece of the timing chain cover replacing the fuel pump, he purchased the tnew fuel pump but never installed it because of health reason. Well 1500 buck later its in my drive way stickers are pealing off, but thats it. body is perfect, interior perfect. I pulled the fuel tank and cleaned it out as well as I could will install new pick up tube tonight, the engine runs... will fire.... with just me replacing the tc cover and changing oil, Tires are dry rotted firestone that firestone will replace free for me (ha) I believe it has a torque flight trans, but I dont know what gear ratio it has. the rear end is the jeep style(read not a dana).
For those of you who have done this before what elso should I do prior to fireing up for the first time. Should I start it in neutral to get the tranny pump turning or should I wait? I ave done everything I can I just ddon want to blow seals or hurt anything since it has been still for 4 years. All your help is greatly appreciated

Jeep 101

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My .02 cents. I presume you changed all of the oils (engine, trans, transfer case and differentials). Change fuel filter. You may need to put a carb kit in (over 4 years the gaskets dry out due to no fuel present). Drain coolant system (radiator/engine) and flush then refill with new coolant. Other than that I dont know.

Good Luck

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
89K, I did all but the tranny fluid, because I am afraid to put fresh acidic fluid in not knowing if the new stuf would be too much for the dry clutchs and seal to absorb. An old friend told me that I shouldtop it off then start it up in neutral to let the pump start with the engine? We will find out tonight.

Jeep 101

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you started it or turned it over yet? Do it by hand first with a socket on the crank bolt to be sure the cylinders aren't frozen. I once used an old distributor shaft attached to an electric drill to pump oil to the bearings, they will be very dry from sittng for so long. I've never heard about acidic tranny fluid, oh well.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as far as your rear end it should be an amc model 20 hd...one piece axles>i would say 3.31's might be the gears..
or at least the most popular ones anyway!!!

fullsize jeep fanatic
oh yeah> the bigger the better

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.