Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 Dodge W150 "Sno Commander". I noticed while plowing today that the front wheels seem to be getting only intermittent power, and I can hear what amounts to an occasional course grinding (hub teeth slipping?) sound. I can't really tell for sure which side its coming from. I suspect hub issues because I had the passenger side ball joints replaced, and I never had this issue before that. The mech who did the joints is making a house call today to check the hub for me, but in case he draws a blank (he better not...), I'd like advice as to what to look for. Please note that I'm not a mechanic, and until researching the problem this morning, I had no idea how a hub lock even worked. I've got the general idea now, though, lol! Anyway, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Oh, I'm not sure what axle it is, but best info says its a Dana 30, and I'm 98% sure these hubs are original.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Proof positive that I'm no mechanic - turns out the hub is fine. I blew apart the driver's side u-joint. On the bright side, now I know what a u-joint that's in the process of being destroyed sounds like!

Thanks to anyone who almost posted advice, lol.

· Registered
21 Posts
I have a 1980 Dodge parts W150 "Sno Commander". I noticed while plowing today that the front wheels seem to be getting only intermittent power, and I can hear what amounts to an occasional course grinding (hub teeth slipping?) sound. I can't really tell for sure which side its coming from. I suspect hub issues because I had the passenger side ball joints replaced, and I never had this issue before that. The mech who did the joints is making a house call today to check the hub for me, but in case he draws a blank (he better not...), I'd like advice as to what to look for. Please note that I'm not a mechanic, and until researching the problem this morning, I had no idea how a hub lock even worked. I've got the general idea now, though, lol! Anyway, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Oh, I'm not sure what axle it is, but best info says its a Dana 30, and I'm 98% sure these hubs are original.
for the hub issues that is not really a do it yourself thing. the best move to make is to find a good independent mechanic so you can avoid your dealer. but if you are rich enough to pay tremendous labor price then don't hesitate to visit your dealer about this. there are also lots of tools needed to do the repair so i did not attempted to do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.