Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got me a 1964 Jeep J-300 pick up from out of a field that it has been sitting in for 8 years! Everything is in decent shape for the most part... and it was FREE! I was wondering if it would be worth it to get it road worthy or just use it for a mud truck? It really wouldnt take all that much to get it on the road...

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you want to get it roadworthy enough to cruise around town or run chores, then sure it's worth it. Depends on how much cash you want to sink into it. The motor should be the Tornado 230 six. I've had a '64 for just over a year now and the only major mechanical thing I had is a bad rear axle seal. The engine hasn't given me any trouble so far, except that it leaks and burns oil; common with these engine I've been told. A newer style umbrella-type valve stem deflector will cure the oil consumption. I haven't tried it yet but some 230 owners say it works. Keep us posted on the "resurrection".

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice!!! It has been a little hot to work on it here recently in Ohio, but as soon as it cools down and I get some free time I will mainly just work on getting it running! The engine runs like a raped ape but there is alot of stuff that needs done to it before it will move! There has been some people that tell me to fix it up and make it road worthy but others who just want me to mud run it... So I still have not decided what to do with it. It would be nice to have a truck that I can run around in but also it would be fun just to mess around in it! There is a big tree mark in the passenger finder/door from the previous owner, and the bed/floor boards are rusted out.... I can get new bed halfs from JC Whitteny for $63 each! I will work on getting more pics of it.... Thanks again!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you lucky son of a gun! that truck looks great! I am trying to find the rear half of one of those j3000's to make a matching trailer for my 79 cherokee! great find and good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.