Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
15X10 rim w/ 5\" backspacing

Hi all,
I am looking for some 15X10 rims with increased backspacing to put less stress on bearings.
I'm going with wider axles so rubbing won't be a problem. Also it's the 5 by 5 and 1/2 bolt pattern.
Most of what is offered is 4".

Anyone know of somewhere I can go that is reasonably priced?

Lee

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Re: 15X10 rim w/ 5\" backspacing

I would call stockton wheels, National tire and Tyres international and ask them about your exact vehicle/axles and brakes combo, most aren't sold with that much backspacing because they could have tierod to wheel clearance problems, another option is cutting the center out and changing the backspacing to what you want, (i did this to a set of 15x10 8-lug and they came out good, but it only worked on my rear Dana60, i had tierod/clearance problems up front)

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif'89YJ,4.3/th350/np231/Dana44/60

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thx for the posts. I'm not really worried about bearings as much as I am about running to wide. I hope to put the 15X35X15 TSL's,
and with the wider (58.5" on CJ7) axles the tires will be sticking out quite. I was hoping to put less stress on wheel bearings
by going with more backspacing but I didn't factor in the tie rod clearance. So what do you guys think, just go with standard 4"
adn not sweat it?

Lee

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

There was a real good post on the old page not too very long ago about "scrub radius"...I cannot recall who posted it, but he really knew his front ends. Reducing the "scrub radius" is at least as important as extending the bearing life, and both are good reasons to maximize the setback and get those wheels in as much as is practical. You have a good start with the long axles. This would really warrant some research on your part as to how far back you could go, even if it meant mods to the steering arms. Go for it!!

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scrub Radius

CJDave, I couldn't find that post for "scrub radius" but I'm interested to learn more.
Tried searching here and the old board without luck.

I guess I could try using my 15X10 rims with the new tires and see how things work out.

Lee

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Re: Scrub Radius

Panther......go here http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm this should explain anything that you want to know about alignment. I could write a lengthy responce.....but this page covers just about everything and it has been 20 years since I've done an alignment. After you've gone to the page .....if you have any unaswered ??? post them and we'll see if anyone has any insight on them. Also check out dorfs post on backspacing below here (earlier posts) ....dorfs seems to be "on time" with contemporary alignment theory .......I was well schooled .....but am hopelessly moldy.
GeeAea

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

Drat! That was a real good post on scrubbing the radius. Basically it is the action of the tire on the ground as it turns on the imaginary vertical line formed by the top and bottom ball joints. The farther the centerline of the tread is from the true axis of the ball joints the more circular the path is and the less "rotary" it is on the ground. Obviously this affects lots of things from braking to actually contacting the frame of the vehicle. I'm sure that automotive engineers just cringe when they see really deep rims installed on vehicles because they KNOW what it is acting like under load.

CJDave

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

Ok Dave......newer strut type frontends (you may have seen it in a Chrysler advertisment) have what is called a "ZERO SCRUB RADIUS". That is, the imaginary line (the turning axis) and the center of the point of contact (the foot print) are on top of each other. When you put on wider wheels without the proper offset you move the footprint "out".....but the turning axis stays put......this measurement between these two points is the "scrub radius"....dorfs says it shouldn't exceed 1".....so if you add more than 2" of rim width without any additional offset..your outside the 1", as dorfs asserts, tollerance limit. It can cause some problems in striaght line driving likes dorfs mentions in "BACKSPACING" somewhere on this page.....but when you actually turn the wheels you're extending the plane of the wheel/tire outside of the spec angles and things become unpredictable. Besides increased scrub radius.....the wheel bearing load is off kilter.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

When I first saw that "scrub" post, it was the first time I had heard the term I KNEW about the problem from my racin' days, but never knew the specs or what it was actually called. Did YOU post that note on "scrub radius" on the old page GeeAye?

CJDave

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

Well......not titled scrub radius....it was titled "caster".....if I'm thinking of the one you're talking about. Dorfs also added good stuff to it. Now that I think about it I think that I refered to neg caster when I meant pos caster (tilting back) ....I think that I was working with my son on a trig question and was looking at a neg rotation (counter clockwise) and somehow transfered that to the wheels in my mind.....who knows.....
GeeAea

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

Dorfs just posted a good post on scrub. All Jeepers need to read and understand this concept, and not just think of lift and clearance. Man, there is some real talent and knowlege out there as evidenced by both posts on scrub, today's and the one on the old board. I need to e-mail the Jeeper direct and let him know to search for "caster" on the old board, but dorfs has it pretty well on this one too.

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I think DORFS need to hold school on this subject. Now! I learned here and am hungry for more as I am preparing to order or fab my own axle assemblies and have figured that the first thing is to decide what wheel tire combinations I will run and ALL of this comes back to scrub radius but what I have just learned is the tie rod problem.
As for the school idea - all those in favor say aye or signify by raising their right hand - !!!!
DORFS are you with us here?
sln

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.