Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
15\" vs 16\" wheels

What are the pros and cons of 15" & 16" wheels? I will be using 8 bolt axles and 35" tires. This will require new wheels and I would like to know what the benefits of each of the two sizes. I will not use 16.5" wheels.
Thanks, Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 15\" vs 16\" wheels

the difference is the money in which you will pay for the tires that you put on the rims. 15" tires are a lot cheaper then 16", as far as any other benefits, i can't think of any. Marc

88 Samurai, 16 V EFI motor, Dana 44's, 36" Swampers, ARB and Detroit
lockers, custom drop arms, GRS II, 5.38 r&p, Warn 8000, custom bumpers,
leather seats & lots more.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts

Well, some 15" rims won't fit over the bigger axle's brakes. That is why a lot of people use 16.5" and now 16" rims on those big 1 ton axles. For clearance. Now, 16" is growing in popularity, and more and more sizes of rims and tires are becoming popular, but they usually cost a bit more than the equivalent 15" tires. Certain 15" rims with the right backspacing will fit with the big brakes. When I go up to a beefier axle I am planning on using some of these 15" rims. A 35x12.5R15 is much cheaper than the equivalent 315/75R16./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 3" Flowmaster 40 DF, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Good answers, Thanks. Bill
Are there any advantages when you air down the tires?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The selection is much better for 15" too. More options in diameters and widths.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

There are no real differences when airing down if your talking about the problems with 16.5 where be bead pulls off the rim and the tire goes flat. However, the same diameter tire will have a larger sidewall in a 15" as opposed to a 16". This allows the 15" tire to flex a bit better (at the same pressure) to wrap around rocks and such for a better grip. However, it also makes the 15" a bit more vulnerable to sidewall damage as a result. Hmm, I suppose the 16" might be a (very small) bit less likely to "loose the bead" due to the shorter sidewall but that is just a guess.

Bad Dog

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Summary: 15" wheels are better because of price, size selection and flex due to side wall highth. 16" are better due to better side wall durability and clearance for disc brakes. However, careful selection of wheel off set will provide clearance for the brake calipers on the 15" wheels.
Thanks for the help. Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Looks right to me. Except for the thing about 15" clearing breaks with the correct offset. On a D60, as far as I can tell, any reasonable offset (i.e. usable) will still require at least some grinding of the caliper. However, a 3.5" offset on a (some) steel wheel is a good compromise and will work ok with only minimal grinding. I expect I will be going this route on my front D60 so I've been watching the posts and listening to others who have done this. Right now, my D60 is running 16.5. Good luck.

Bad Dog

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

One other thing that may or may not be a consideration for you which was not mentioned previously is load rating. For my part; I wanted 15's for all the pluses listed above but I also plan to tow a fairly large camper trailer with my Blazer & most 15" steelies are only 1500lb load rating. The Eatons & Barts are up in the high 2000 lb range but are pretty expensive with chrome & a custom backspacing. I found it almost as cheap in the end to get the 16x10 Mickey Thompson Classic II's with a 3300lbs load rating. As a bonus, no grinding the D60 calipers & it's also my favourite looking wheel.

Brian
89KBlazer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.