Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the hunt for my first jeep and am going to look at what appears to be a decent one.

Jeep '88 Wrangler YJ – burgundy paint, tan tops (HT, ST), 144k, 30k on rebuilt engine, 4x4, 6cyl, 5spd, PS, PB, full doors, custom wheels, custom seats, CD, $4,750.

Even though it only has 30k on the rebuilt I6, I am concerned about the high mileage. When rebuilt, how many more miles can you expect to get out of the engine? Even if the engine is good rebuilt, what else should I make sure is in good condition before I buy? And finally, does this sound like a reasonable price for the jeep?

Thanks for the help!

jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Only 30K on a rebuilt 6, if it was a quality rebuild it has at least 100K left in it. What I would look out for on the 88 is it very likely has the Peugot trans, very weak trans, and HORRIBLY expensive to replace or rebuild. Also, the 231 t-case will be in need of attention with that kind of mileage. If the rest of the Jeep is ok and you can verify the rebuild of the engine and the quality of the rebuild you might be ok if you can score it for under 4K, knowing that a trans and t-case are very likely in the near future.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 200k on my 258. I opened up the bottom end and replaced rods, mains, oil pump and timing chain all with standard bearings (not oversize). Other than that it runs great. 258's have a main bearing between each cylinder which helps with the longivity of the motor. You should do a compression check and cyls should be within 10% of each other. Good luck. Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What sort of problems will the 231 T-case give with that many miles? I just completed (1/24/00) an engine/transmission swap in
mine. The engine is rebuilt, the transmission has 70,000 miles on it, and the original 231 t-case has 192,000 miles on it. It sifts
smooth, no unusal sounds or noises, very little "backlash". What type of service would need to be done? All the transmission
and t-case seals were changed also. When should I expect to have to change the t-case again??

Thanks

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Is there any paperwork with the rebuilt motor? The term "rebuilt" could mean anything, and is often misused. A quality engine rebuilder (Mine came from RECON, in Pennsylvania) will put a rebuild tag on the side of the block (mine is on the right side of the block, near the distributor). It could have been rebuilt by some kid in his backyard.... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

I have almost 199,000 on my 88YJ now. I put in a new 258 about 4 months back, but otherwise the tranny (I have the 999 auto), and the 231 transfer case are all original, and have no problems.

I would be leary of the standard tranny in it, and know that you really shouldn't rebuild or replace it, you should upgrade it to the newer one when it dies. Also the carubretor system in it ain't so great. It's a complicated system, and seldom works well as it gets older. A lot of people remove it, in favor of a weber carb, or a fuel injection upgrade. I know it's more money, but if you can get yourself into a 90-91 or newer, you may be happier. Look under "what's wrong with YJs" post a few posts down. That doesn't mean it's a bad jeep, just those are it's weak points.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HEY!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif I'm a kid who rebuilt my motor in my backyard, and when I had it done I showed my mechanic and he said it was a better build than half the pro's intown, and he was comparing my budget build to their hi-po builds...

This was a great learning experience, and if I have the chance (and a helper younger than my father) I'll probably do it again... Neither of us had done it before, and we just took our time... - sorry, rambling.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Hey, no offense intended to anyone who rebuilds a motor in their backyard, be it kid or otherwise, /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I've done it too. I was just saying that the term "rebuilt" could mean a nice machine-bored block, new pistons, ground crank, new cam, new rings and bearings, shaved flat head, all new valves, ground seats, triple-angle valve job, etc., etc. ...or it could mean someone pulled the pistons, honed the bores with a hand drill and a hone from sears, put on some new rings, and put it all back together. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Always ask for paperwork to support someone's claims selling you a car.

Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.