Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a dirtbike soon, what should i get, i have never had one before but have ridden all kinds of bikes.

i am 5' 9" 160 lb

thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It mostly depends on what type of riding you are doing, but personally I would go with the 250. Just not enough power out of a 125, Lance

87 Sami conv. Header 2" ex. 4-16 t-case, 5"lift,weber, rear lockrite,rancho's, and a very long wish list.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't throw this guy on a 250 if he is not experienced, what kind of bikes have you driven before?

WARNING
The surgeon general has determined that motorcycle riding will cause: Swelling of the TESTICLES, shrinkage of the BRAIN, and severe trauma to the EGO.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would get a 125. They have enough power to give anyone a certain amount of fun. The worst thing that can happen is he will want a more powerful bike, in which he could trade it in for a 250.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhhh, the old debate....125 or 250. Well, I personally recommend the 250. don't just get on it and crank the throttle, learn it slow. (See YZ250 post) I started out on a trail bike and jumped right into a 250 with both feet and almost regretted it, until I got the feel. I'm 6'0 and 163 lbs. and I would even think about trying any of the things I do on a 125. Not enough power for the technical stuff.

RoosteR
I love the smell of two-stroke in the morning.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
personally i like 125's better myself. and i woiuld definitely want experience on one before i got into a 2fiddy.
a 125 will TEACH you how to ride properly. then when you get a 2fiddy you'l reeally know how to roost!
plus theryere lighter so one feels more comfortable when trying new $hit

You wear your silver chain but the cross won't stop the lies,you believe in nothing
Kenton Thomas,Portal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to go with portgrinder on this one , a 125 is a big enough bike to have ALOT of fun with and yet its light enough to handle, a good learning bike , then after a year or so go for the 250,depending on your riding ability

Ride hard, Lifes short

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's SOME truth in that.

The 125 MAY or MAY NOT teach you to ride properly, however, it also teaches you to be WFO most of the time, unless you are weighing in at 100 lbs. That's the difference in the two bikes. With the 250, you have the power on reserve, wherever, and whenever you need it, if you weigh in over 150.

On the 125, I found I had to be in the peak of the power band all the time to do what I wanted to do, and when it came to hill climbs, it did'nt matter, the power wasn't there. Also with technical sections, where there was a neeed for low end power. If I weighed 90 lbs. I would have done fine on the 125, but at my weight, the 250 is a must.

Just my experience.

I look back on that time I rode a 125 that I was thinking about buying, and had some fun on it, but it was way to under powered. But then again, that was in some pretty tight wooded hills. You can whip around the 125 pretty well, but once you get used to the 250 power, you can whip it around pretty well too. I wouldn't trade the power, again, for anything else.

RoosteR

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
true, but if inexperienced, the 250 WILL get you in trouble faster than a 125, and we dont want to hurt anyone here

Ride hard, Lifes short

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No need to get hurt, just take it easy and don't try anything you can't handle. I'm still not saying to go out and crank the 250, I've just had ten years of great fun, and lower maint. and EXCEPTIONAL power on the 250's.

125's are fun, and I still enjoy riding them, they are fun to whip around after riding the 250 sled. Of course, I can't say that seriously, now that I'm riding a '00 YZ250, as the weight difference and the specs. are so insignificant. It feels like a YZ80 with a HUGE hit.

I do still miss my buds KX 125. That was a fun bike to whip through the trees. Wierd about those KX bikes in the timber, they just seemed to handle better than the rest. Mybe it was the forks.

RoosteR

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
AHHH... just get a 4-stroke /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

You need a thneed
From Once-ler Industrys

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's no way I could go back to a 125 now, I rode one a few weeks ago and I didn't like it at all, lol. If your used to bikes and 2-strokes then go with a 250 from the start, its worth it. If your not very experienced, I would still lean towards the 250, because as you ride you will get better and a 250 has lots of room to expand. A 125 is fun, but not so much if your used to a 250 or a big bore 4-banger.

Kyle

------------
Honda Tech
------------
'98 CR250R
Well equipped

'88 F-150 4X4 "The Beast"
Too mand mods to list

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, a big bore 4-banger like my XR200!!! NNNAAAHHHHH!!!!

WARNING
The surgeon general has determined that motorcycle riding will cause: Swelling of the TESTICLES, shrinkage of the BRAIN, and severe trauma to the EGO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts