Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
USA Today (Aug 29) reports that the Chrysler Group began production Monday at the first auto plant in North America where suppliers have taken over key areas of production to help contain costs. Chrysler's 100-acre Toledo, OH Supplier Park began building the 2007 Wrangler. My concern is that this process (never before tried in US, I believe) will be a QC mess.

Does anyone out there have experience and/or insight into the manufacturing process that can provide meaningful insight into the future of our beloved steeds?

·
Registered
737 Posts
This is the first that Ive heard of this...But my cardnal rule is to never buy a first year production auto. Give them a year to work out the bugs.
As for other projects from Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep... Remember the years that poor chioces were made. Jeep has always survived. Remember they just gave us the Rubicon, and hopefully some of the same engineers and quality control people are still there. "It's a jeep thing"...hopefully Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep adn Dr. "Z" still understands.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
From my manufacturing/engineering experience it is less expensive when a vendor/supplier has a good tight QC process. This yields better results. If there are severe contractual penalties for poor performance, the process works.

It's a case of engineering quality into the part/subsection/assembly, as opposed to waiting for the whole product to be manufactured and inspecting it before it's shipped.

If this is the case, the I'll applaud DC for making a good decision.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts