Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Lincoln Locker\"

Has anyone had any luck with a "Lincoln Locker" ? How strong is it? What is the best way to weld it? What will happen to the diff & gears if it brakes?

Thanks,

Tigger (1977 CJ5, 401)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: "Lincoln Locker\"

lincoln lockers are usually not a good idea. they require an expert welder to weld the dissimilar metals. they suck on the street(any spool does) and are very hard on axle shafts. also if they fail they for the most part become a grenade and when you take off the cover you will not like what you see. if you are looking for spool type performance that is what you need to buy. if you are short on funds, mini spools are inexpensive. if you drive you rig on the street for even a mile get a locker. just my $.02

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I agree, with the other post. I have run the lincoln lockers myself (never broke one) but they are like a spool and unforgiving. I didn't like it at all on the street since it didn't have any ratchet action to it. Although they are very cheap and if you are running a trailer queen to the trails and have one piece axles they will take you a long ways unless you really get tough on it by horsing it around. We used to mud race with them also and hardly ever broke them but when they did it was bad!! there are three ways to weld them up and a MIG is the best when doing it for the low heat.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

"Lincoln Lockers" are great..
BUT only for one thing, a low budget mud-racer type 4x4 that will never be driven on the street.

How? i remove the the diffential side gears and fill in (weld) between the teeth at 2 opposite places on both side gears, then put it all back together.

Oh ya, it will be ugly when it brakes.

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have run one in the rear of my cj-3a for the last year and I love it, definitly get max traction out of it. not really much harder on the shafts than a locker unless you have a lot of weight on slickrock, then turning causes some impressive loads on the shafts, I only run maybe 750 lbs on the rear so my tires slip just fine. I don't like the filling teeth idea personally, that allows some turning without the action and then it suddenly want to go straight when the slack comes out, I weld my gears to the carrier, the side effects are the tires bark in hard corners and steering is more difficult. use tig welding if you can, I use an ac ark welder with 7018 rod, weld a little then wait till it cools then do it again to avoid heat stressing the components. I'v never broken anything in the diff or a shaft on a two piece dana41 with 33's.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

I did the fozzy on the front axle of my cj2a. welded with the mig. filled in couple teeth on the spiders and reinstalled. My rear is still open so i have no effect till I lock in the hubs. But, JOJO is the king of this type modifecation. I not worry about blow up. I got more parts.

brownbagg </font color=red>

·
Registered
314 Posts

I welded my front d-30 with a AC stick machine and a 309 stainless steel rod while it was in the housing.I put the ground on the spider gears so the current did not pass through the bearings.A mig would be alot better.I like it,but I dont try to tear it up.I only use it on slippery surfuces.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

At the inexpensive price and ease of installation of a LockRite, why would you even consider this mod? Just wondering.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

because $10 for rod and fluid is less than $225 for locker and fluid, seriously mine was definitly budget driven, I have barley enough top afford gas for the thing most days.

·
Registered
725 Posts

I had my D30 done and I love it. I run a Detroit in the the rear so my street ride is stll cool. The only draw back is you will be makeing more 3 point turns on the trail but on the up side it only cost about $10 and will climb a tree if you want it to.

Rob

83 CJ5 4.2 t176 300 4.56

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.