Chinese ORV import knockoff black hole... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Thefts and Complaints Here's your place to bitch and moan about poor customer service. More importantly, report theft of vehicles and scams affecting the Off-Road community.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Hyperdad

Chinese ORV import knockoff black hole...

Has anyone been enticed into purchasing one of the very cool and reasonably priced Honda Pit bike knock-offs from an ebay type of dealer? Only to find it is nearly impossible to register it for a green sticker...
Any success stories?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 09:31 AM
badvox

Re: Chinese ORV import knockoff black hole...

My advice is not to buy off of eBay unless everything can be checked out. I know people that buy used quads off eBay all the time and thats fine.

When it comes to the Chinese brands I would not buy them off eBay if I were you.

Look in the Cycle Trader. There are plenty of guys in So Cal that advertise in Cycle Trader. Pick one that has a shop and a mechanic and that you know it will be taken care of at least.

badvox
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Can't Get Enough

And advice is not to buy Chinese
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:53 AM

MouseMotor - there's a dealer in town here ( motortoyz). From talking to him while looking at a mini-quad for my kids, the guys a pilot, got involved on the purchasing end while in China, and is now a licensed dealership here in Canada. current lineup includes dirt bikes, dune buggies, atv's, & generators. when I was there 2 months ago, he was waiting for the on-road dealer license ( thats his federal importer/vendors license) for scooters, but I see they're now on the website: if so, he's licensed, offers dealer service, and his vehicles are licensable...no different from say Kia, or Daiwoo at that point.

According to the literature, the dirt bikes, and quads he sells are definitley Honda - but they're not 'knockoff's - the company in China actually bought the tooling for the old 'CB" series engines and designs directly from Honda.

no affiliation on my part, but here's a URL to their store for you to check out yourself http://www.motortoyz.ca/about.php

chris
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Can't Get Enough

My son has been riding one of the 70cc dirt bikes for two months now and hasn't had any trouble out of it. He rides it hard every day, I dindn't think it would last this long the way he rides it!! The only complaint we have is that it's hard to shift sometimes. When compared to the Honda motors they look the same!! It starts up easy, even on the cold days. Oh and one more thing, if any one happens to get one, check after riding awhile and make sure everything is tight. I went through with some lock tight to make sure it wouldn't come loose again.
Thats all I have to say about them. He's ready for a bigger bike now, so Im looking into the 110cc and for the money, I think they are worth it when you have a kid thats going to grow out of them in 6 months to year!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 08:18 PM

actually, I can add a few more details to my first post. the kids bikes that my local guy sells are Honda's - same production lines, adn tooling. the adult bikes hes now a licensed dealer for are a company called Hyosung - made in Taiwan. they're last gen Suzuki's, and Hyosung is actually an assembly plant in partnership WITH suzuki, so they're not really 'knockoff's. Heres a current link to Hyosung, including something on the company history http://www.hyosungmotors.co.kr/abroad/index.asp

I actually kind of like the looks of the 650S bike, with its vertically mounted hi/lo dual projector lights, and digital dash panel. Dealer is supposed to have one in, and ready for test drive ~late april, target prices ~$7200-$7500 canadian. As I'd already stated ( and have since confirmed by a tour of his shop) he STOCKS parts for the bike he markets, and his tech is a licensed mechanic.

That said...hes only the one dealership. I wouldnt let a few disreputable places drive you away, but like anything, shopping carefully would be a good idea. Best /easiest way to tell when its a real dealer is they'll have an open shop policy, liek the guy here: pretty easy to tell whats going on in the back when he invites you to come take a look. Dont forget, it wasnt so long ago that companies like Mazda, Toyota, Nissan, & Hyundai were the 'jap c**p'importers...and you heard the same sorts of stories about their cars & dealerships.

c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode