Who uses a cable modem? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Who uses a cable modem?

Who has one, what do you think, Worth the cost? I am tired of sitting here staring at a dead screen waiting for the stupid overloaded ISP provider's servers.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 09:02 AM
Old Hand

Re: Who uses a cable modem?

I'm using RoadRunner high speed cable modem.

I love it! The other day I down loaded 17meg in about 45 seconds!!

But even the cable modem is subject to net congestion. This BBS is terrible sometimes. This morning it's flying though.

We used to have 2 phone lines(home & computer). By the time we paid for the second line and the internet access it's about the same as the cable modem. We dropped the second phone line now because we don't need it.

I think you'll love it...

Jay

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]

http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 09:24 AM

My dad has had both cable and DSL, the DSL is the way to go, I don't know how it works but it uses your existing phone lines and you can still get/make calls at the same time. (multiplexing of some sort I guess)
cable slows down every time another person is using it.
cable in this area went bankrupt a few weeks ago, service was down for about a week until somebody else picked it up.

DSL is always fast and is offered by your local phone company, well most anyway. I can't get it here in the sticks of Iowa. but I've used it at my dad's and it's the way to go.
scott

90 Suzuki Samurai
90 Isuzu trooper
67 14' Richline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 09:45 AM

I have cable ISP service also. I like it a lot. DSL is not available here yet. The cable modem rocks..but as stated previously it can bog down at times. This BBS can REALLY slow down at times. Otherwise I can fly through any site I want ;^)

Whazuki -> a squirrel squashing, deer smacking, driving machine!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
RoBeRt
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 10:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have used cable and DSL, and I must say DSL is the way to go if you can get it. however, as stated earlier, no matter which way you are able to go, this board is still horribly slow at times. I have had at times a faster screen load on dial up than with DSL OR CABLE. This board is simply horrible about loading.

For those of you with DSL, you can go to DSLreports.com and check your speeds as well as tweak your machine for faster, more reliable speeds.

Neal the Zukiguy

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 10:32 AM

I got DSl and I love it...What I heard about cable is that the cable companies leave only a small potion of the bandwidth for computer stuff because they need a lot for television stuff on the cable so its relatively easy to get slow if there are a lot of people on cable round you...As for Dsl, there is bound to have less people on the web at the same time than watching tv so I figured DSL was the choice. Runs great, I'm happy with it.

My bits...

Yannick
1987 HT, SPOA, 31's, 2" exhaust & 20$ Snorkel [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
http://lukinfomud.homestead.com/frontpage.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 10:44 AM

I use Cox Communications, full 10mb bandwidth, about 4 times as fast as DSL. But a busy server is a busy server, the BBS sometimes takes forever! Both cable and DSL are always on type connections, so if your problem is ISP busy signals either one will end that problem. Go with what you have available, I know here that the cable is a lot cheaper than the DSL service.

Moozuki's home page

http://members.home.net/cryburn
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 11:31 AM

JBird's got it right. I'm using AT&T cable, ditched the 2nd phone line & my dial-up ISP. I love it. The slowdown that is others mentioned about other's being on line is also true, but not really a problem compared to being kicked off your dial-up or not connecting at all.

Go for it!

Hakuna Matata!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have cable, and i like it alot, but, dont rent the modem, just buy one, in the end it will be cheaper that way. they only cost about 150, and about 20 to rent

Put on your set belt... I wanna try something.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 01:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have the cable modem that I bought for $100 and like it alot. Something to consider when running these "always on" type internets is make sure that you run either a hardware or software firewall. I run one and every time I come to the computer it has picked up something. This has been discussed before and there is a good free firewall program that was mentioned. http://www.tinysoftware.com Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode