weber rebuild... yikes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

weber rebuild... yikes

got a used weber a couple months ago that has a slight hesitation problem due to a bad accelerator pump...

ordered a rebuild kit from calmini last week to fix the problem... figured it wouldnt hurt to go ahead and rebuild the whole thing anyway...

got the kit today

i'm still looking for the missing pieces and instructions...

all i can see thats in there is a bunch of o-rings and some gaskets, and some weird looking pointy thing

i'd give you technical terms, but i don't know them because THE PARTS ARENT LABELED IN ANY WAY!

there is a blown apart diagram of the carb with every part numbered, but there is no key to know what the hell the numbers mean... i don't even know if there is stuff in here to rebuile the accelerator pump... mainly because i don't even know where the accelerator pump is

something that has me worried as well is the fact that there are several things on here that refer to an electric choke, and the fact that the diagram is slightly different looking than my carb (especially the choke part)... i'm not sure what is meant by electric choke, but mine doesnt have any wires coming out of it... its got water running through it and you turn it on by pushing the accelerator all the way to the floor, and you turn it off by pushing the accelerator again (don't have to push it all the way down to turn it off). anyway, what i'm saying is that i don't even know if this is the right freakin rebuild kit... i knwo i should have looked at the number on my carb, but i forgot to write it down the last time i saw my zook and i just figured they were all the same...

would anyone happen to have any kind of instructions for doing a job like this?

sorry if i rambled in this post but i'm just ranting because i'm pretty dissapointed in my rebuild kit... i was hoping to be able to do this myself, but i won't be able to without some sort of help on this one... i mean, they could have at least labeled the parts

anyhow, i hope someone here can help me out

thanks

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 12:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: weber rebuild... yikes

Steve,
Get the (dare I say) Haynes maual for Webers. It has instructions on how to rebuild them.
The accelerator pump is to the lower right of the choke. Undo 4 screws, pull of the old pump (watch for the spring) and install the new pump. Easy as pie....
If this doesn't cure your hesitation, then rejetting might be in order.
I was disapointed in the rebuild kit as well. No instructions and nothing is labeled.
Keep us posted as how you make out....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 05:03 AM
zukikid

ok man i got you...go here:

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/DGAVpl.pdf

for exploded veiw of your carb...
and here:

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/DGAVpl.pdf

for your parts list...
and here:

http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...r&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=200&Old=3weeks

for the handy dandy crowhorse tuning instuctions after you rebuild.

take your time ...triple check everything you do and relax cause the b.b.s. has your back.

no clickys from me ...but i found it all for ya :-)so cut and paste.you will need acrobat reader to read the pdf's ...you should have it or find a place to download it for free.
zukikid

wow ...it still fits out the garage !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 06:29 AM
Can't Get Enough

Steve,
I know how you feel! I rebuilt mine and figured it would simple to replace the parts, but an instructon sheet would have been nice. Looks like <font color=blue>zukikid</font color=blue> has you covered for available info. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I used to rebuild mine. Oh, one more thing....the kit does not come with a new float (at least mine didn't), and I ended up getting one from local AutoZone. Turns out that was one of my main problems. But to adjust the float level???...I couldn't find any info so I asked a good mechanic. He said most floats need to sit level or parallel to the carb top when you have it turned upside down on the workbench. That worked for me. There are several adjustment settings on the float, so be careful - and good luck.

Scott Trester - '88.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

great info, thanks zukikid!

with all this great info i'm sure i could do this myself.... but i was talking to my mechanic uncle last night and he said he was on vacation for the next two weeks so i should just bring it down to houston and he would give me a hand... so thats what i'm going to do

hopefully we'll be able to find my electrical problem at the same time, and he also said that his exhaust guy is going to be cheaper than any i can find, so hopefully i can get all that done at the same time...

i'll keep ya'll filled in as to how it goes

'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 11:05 AM
zukikid

i have a weber rebuild book here as well,please feel free to ask any ?'s and i will try to help as i can .
zukikid

wow ...it still fits out the garage !!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry to say.......but if you don't know what the "pointy" thing is you don't need to overhauling your carb.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

i didn't know jack about automotive things before i got my zook... sure, i knew the basics, or at least, i thought i did... that was 2 and a half years ago... now i've got too many mods to list (and i did them all myself)

the only way to learn about something is to take it apart and look at it... I didn't know what some of the "pointy" things in the tcase were until i took it apart to install a 4.16 gearset... now i know exactly what happens when i move the shifter, why you can shift on the fly, and how everything in there moves and interacts with each other to make 4WD work

didn't know what some of the "pointy" things were in the rear drums till i took them apart a month or so ago because all my brake fluid leaked out from somewhere in the passenger brake.... had no idea there was a wheel cylinder in there... took it apart, put it back together and the damn thing stops better than it ever has before

i want to know how my carburator works, so i'm going to rebuild it... and thanks to the help of the people on this board, i now know what the "pointy" thing is, and exactly where it goes

'88 Suzuki Samurai
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 02:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Steve,
Be careful of the "E" clip that connects the choke rod to the choke shaft & plates. Don't know why, but mine bailed on me. Finally the linkage worked loose and jammed. The tab on the shaft ended up wallowing out of shape and I had to weld it to the shaft. Not a big deal. I also had to remove the burrs caused by the shaft in the cover.
I'm sure yours is in better shape than mine as mine is an older Weber.
I suppose the correct fix would be to install bushings in the cover for the shaft, but this will have to do for now.
I really dislike that "E" clip. I think a cotter pin would be heaps better. Let us know what you learn and how you make out.....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Classic Calmini Stuff. I'm sure they make enough profit to put GOOD instructions in their stuff, but it's just not important to them. I guess they figure that most of their customers are already auto-mechanics, and don't read the instructions anyway. Just another reason why they are losing business to some of the other folks on this BBS.

My .02 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Bob

<font color=blue>95 'Kick 4 Door - Calmini header & exhaust =</font color=blue> <font color=red>mo' power!</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode