Pads & Shoes ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Pads & Shoes ??

I was surfing the web for brake pads/shoes and there is a wide range of prices (ie. $13-$40 per axle). Has anyone had any experience with the higher end brake products? Are they worth the extra cost? I know, brakes aren't where one should cut costs, but it's also foolish to spend $40 when a $13 product will perform the same.
I always tend to buy the higher priced items thinking that their higher cost reflects higher quality. Is this true with pads & shoes?

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 07:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Pads & Shoes ??

Now there's a good question CrowHorse! I have 120,000 on my 4-door Sidekick, and still have ORIGINAL pads and shoes. Every time I have them checked, they say I still have plenty left, but some day here I'm gonna change 'em anyway! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Bob

<font color=blue>95 'Kick 4 Door - Calmini header & exhaust =</font color=blue> <font color=red>mo' power!</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 08:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

On my Subaru I always use the cheap organic brake pads. They don't last quite as long but changing them take about an hr. They are less than 20 bucks. I don't like the more expensive semi-metalic (35 bucks) because they have a tendency to be noisy and kind of grindy feeling at time. Only changed my Zuke brakes once so far and used the cheaper ones also and it stops fine. Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like to go with the cheaper organic brake pads for the simple fact that they will wear out before your rotors. In my opinion brake pads are meant to wear out so why pay crazy amounts of money for them. Semi-metallics generally have better stopping power without the brake dust, but they do eat the more expensive rotors alot faster.

My 0.02 worth.

88.5 Sam, push bar, winch, removable hardtop, mods in progress
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crow, just go with a semi-respectble name....ultra cheapies are usually the kind that can and will CRACK when heated up a bit....not only will you end up replacing them, but if the crack is bad enough....you can damage other components and of couse, seriously impede your stopping power....i'm not trying to scare you, but i was a machanic, and have seen a LOT of brakes, and brake jobs....never any bad ones on a Zuk yet...but i did see a Chrvy Caprice that had about 300-400 miles on remanufactured Horse$hit shoes, and the lining actually "peeled" off of the shoe....eating the drum, springs, and wheel cylinder....not what you want to happen on or off-road....
just my 2 cents.....Crow just go with a brand name (raybestos) aren't half bad if you can find them for Sammis....

ROACH Da NastyPimp[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
88.5 Zuk Calmini header/GRS1/235MT/Lock Rite/Centerforce stage1[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 07:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

>Crow just go with a brand name (raybestos) aren't half bad if you can find them for Sammis<
That is what I put on mine. Good shoes but I'm biased being I worked at the plant for a summer and my Dad put in 33 yrs there. Jim

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 09:25 PM
JKing

Crow,

I use Bendix Metal King brake pads and they have good stopping power and NO noise. Brake dust is barely noticeble with all the dust, mud and sand that covers the rims.... so why bother... and yeah one more thing is that it'll withstand more brake fade... that cheap pads will not be able to withstand as it has a higher temperature rating. Paid mine for MR200 that roughly equates to US$52 and it lasts a long time

JKing
Suzuki Samurai (a.k.a. Jimny SJ413 in Asia)
K&N, Shackle Lift, 235s, 1" Wheel Spacers, Driving & Spot Lamps, Tokico Shocks, Bosch +4s, RX-7 Turbo seats
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 04:23 AM
zukikid

auto zone has lifetime warantys on their cheapy pads and shoes...i am happy e'nuff with um...they wear out take um back...get a new set for free...hows that for cost effective:-)
zukikid

wow ...it still fits out the garage !!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 05:18 AM
Can't Get Enough

Yep, I agree with <font color=blue>zukikid</font color=blue>, go with the cheaper, warrantied brand. I've taken mine back because my rotor was bad and it wore out the pads on one side and they still replaced 'em.
Besides, the Zukes aren't that heavy as to wear out pads as fast as most cars, so you probably don't need the super-duty kind anyway (can you say "overkill"?) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
just my 2 cents.....

Scott Trester - '88.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 06:38 AM

and not to mention if your pad does fall and trash your calpier or rotor autozone well replace them both for free i no this for a fact. I run there brakes on everthing. never had any problems but once. about 6 years ago i put a set on my chevy the front pads apartley did not get rivated on good a factory or how ever they do it anyways fell off trashed rotor and calpier went to the Zone and they said here you go sorry for the inconvice but I am have a couple of good friends that work there

RUN IN TO YOU LATER ,and yes if you dont no it buy now i cant spell LOL!
<font color=red>Tryin to get this thing done for Zukmelt</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode