New lift=vibrations and oil leak - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

New lift=vibrations and oil leak

OK I have extended shackles that raised the rig 1 and 3/4" no vibration. I did have a fuel pump that was leaking oil but I never saw any in the driveway. Just installed some calmini 3" lift springs now I'm getting some vibration. I figure with close to 5" of lift I need some driveshaft spacers. But drove over into town came back parked got in my car to go to work and saw a quarter size dot of oil on the driveway near the front but slightly behind the front differential. It has never dropped oil like that since I've had it....I just replaced the fuel pump with another one that was used but supposedly it still worked. So I'm wondering how much torque are you supposed to put on the those nuts. Also I replaced the gasket but I think I forgot to take the old gasket off of the block. Could that have anythin to do with it?

87 Samurai JX- S-10 Buckets. Cherry Bomb exaust. 2" lift shackles, 3" calmini springs, 30-9.50 Wild Cats
It didn't look that deep, or I wouldn't have told you to go on through........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Re: New lift=vibrations and oil leak

OH yeah and I for got to say that I'm still spring under axle......I was also wondering as long as you get the spring pins to line up in the holes you don't have to worry about the axle changing positions right or wrong?

87 Samurai JX- S-10 Buckets. Cherry Bomb exaust. 2" lift shackles, 3" calmini springs, 30-9.50 Wild Cats
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 08:37 PM

Of course it could! Biggest mistake people make is not removing all of the old gasket. Don't worry, we've all done it at one time or another and paid the price ;-) Just buy a new gasket and clean the mating surfaces well. Also, the torque on those bolts isn't much, just hand tighten them 'til they're snug. May want to use some blue or red loc-tite if you have lots of vibrating, just to make sure they won't back out. But just use a bit of Loc, too much and you'll regret it.
Good luck,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I guess I'm just hopin it's they darn fuel pump seems like all these annoying little things come up and drain your money so you can't afford the cool things like lockers and gears.....
Do you guys think the vibration is most likely caused by need for driveline spacers or I somehow didn't get the axle's back under properly?
It also seems weird that the fuel pump never leaked after being parked and now it does......

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 09:34 PM

I don't think the spacers would do anything. You have a vibration because of the angles of your shafts, after the lift. You were lucky to have no vibes after the shackle lift because that really throws off the angles. I've had vibes for as long as I can remember and I've learned to live with it. All you can do is replace the shafts with CV type shafts. But they ain't cheap!

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode