TBI PROBLEM - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 12:38 PM
bulldogzook

TBI PROBLEM

Here's the problem I'm having .zook won't start and run with out start juice. Does start and run after a shot of start jucie. Got fuel gonning to TBI! But stops there. And don't get to motor to start and run? Can any body help?! before wife makes me divorice the zook!

IF YOUR GONNA BE DUMB YOU GOTTA BE TOUGH!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 08:45 PM
Addict

Re: TBI PROBLEM

Does it run well after you get it running w/ a shot of ether or is it rough and lacking power? Have you been working on it recently or did the problem develop?

I'll be back.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 08:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ether is NOT good for injection. At least thats what ive always heard. Its prolly the choke. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad ground not allowing certain parts of the tbi to work properly. You might want to check into that too.

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 10:20 PM
bulldogzook

That is what had me stumped? The truck ran great! And then not! I called Brent today and talked to him and determened it is the ECM ouch! So if any one knows were I can get one please let me know. the motor is a"91" kick 1.6 8v.TBI THANKS FOR THE HELP. It's very much appeciaided

IF YOUR GONNA BE DUMB YOU GOTTA BE TOUGH!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 12:07 AM

It sounds like your fuel injector stopped working. You might try checking to see if the fuel injector itself is working (or clogged). Does it BUZZ (TBI Injector) when the key is turned to start the engine?(you can disconnect the starter solenoid wire [black w/yellow stripe on the starter itself] to determine if it is working without the engine actually turning over, [the ECM does not care if the engine is actually turning over or not].) Be sure you are hearing the TBI buzzing, and not an other emissions component buzzing!!

If the engine runs with a squirt from some starter fluid(and only from the starter fluid), then it would seem that the ignition and starter do not seem to be the problem (spark is being delivered on time). The injector is either clogged, not working, or NOT the problem!! Assuming the fuel delivery system (ei. fuel pump, etc.) is working properly!!

At 123 miles since I converted to FI (I also am using an '91 tracker 8v TBI, and ECM.), the the fuel injector stopped just as you described. I have used the touble shooting chart in the FSM and have not been able to pin point the problem. In the trouble shooting section, the problem seems to be short in the ECM's Blue w/black stripe wire. (I hope this is not a permanant or destructive problem) This problem did show up on the ECM checklist on page 6E2-C1-2 in the Driveability and Emissions section of the 1991 Geo Tracker Service Supplement [the additional stand alone, supplement]...I used a volt meter that has an auto scale meter to try to troubleshoot. Unfortunately, the volt meter has an auto scale function that is too slow to see momentrary changes in voltage. (USE the trouble shooting light as described in the FSM or you will miss important info.) Once I used the light instead of the volt meter, I was able to determine a short in this wire (somewere in the blue w/black wire which connects to most of the ECM functions.) I'm gonna pull the wiring harness and try to determine were the short is!!!!
If your ECM is lost then it will cost big $$$$ to correct this!(ECM replacement or repair). I have two ECM's (one being a rebuilt ECM w/warranty) and it does not work (engine runs) w/ either ECM. WHEN I figure this out, I will post the results. I'm sure more people than I have experienced this problems!!

Whazuki -> a squirrel squashing, deer smacking, driving machine!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
RoBeRt
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 11:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Im sorry but im gonna argue this ECM bs. Ive been told the same thing by more than one person and it has yet to be the problem. My ecm has been COMPLETELY submerged more than 5 times and it still works great. Check and CLEAN ALL ground connections, by some good contact cleaner and clean ALL connections. Then see what happens. Mine did the exact same thing as you and it was jus a bad ground.

Basically what im gettin at is start with the little things then work to the bigger things. 99% of the time it will be one of the little things that causes the big problem.

Jus my .02 worth

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode