sammi purchase/models - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 02:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

sammi purchase/models

hello everyone!

need some help on something.....

i want to buy a samurai, (they totally kick ass), and i need some advice on what to look out for as far avoiding buying a lemon.

thanks!
christy

ps--also looking for a miniature model of a sammi like this one. it is too cute not to have, and i was hoping someone would know a site that sells them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-586299-samurai4.jpg (45.4 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 02:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: sammi purchase/models

hey girl, fill out your bio, so we all know a little more about you...
sammis all:
1)burn oil
2) leak oil
3)kick a$$
4)suck on-road
5)kick a$$ off-road
6)will make you lose your J**P friends, because Samurais will go where most Heeps fear to tread...
7)cheap and easy to fix...oh that's good isn't it??

ROACH Da NastyPimp[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/roachtrax go to crazy pics, and check'em out
[email protected]!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 03:00 AM
Addict

http://www.legendshobbies.com/models.htm go here and you'll find a samurai model on the list ... and i would get a '90 or newer samurai just for the efi benifits ... come to think i don't think they made a lemon ... just my opinion .... oops i forgot but roadless gear also has a model in the $20 range

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 03:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah, it was a media "created" lemon, if there ever was one...
ZUKS are AWESOME..

ROACH Da NastyPimp[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/roachtrax go to crazy pics, and check'em out
[email protected]!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 05:53 AM
pook

no.really, look for an efi rather than a carbed model.
the carbs on these little buggers are really just a pain to get just right.
and depending where you live rust is another biggie,look for it under the plastic rocker covers,rear wheel wells exc.
most other than that look for oil leaks, most on the sammuri are not really that bad to fix depending where ther at....also,if you don't have one in mind,try checking the board here and at izook.com.there's always a few poping up for sale.
and if you buy one,welcome to the wide world of zookin..
there's a bunch of good people here,and there allways ready to help..
good-luck ;-)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 08:49 AM
Addict

I found a 87 zuk (carbed) bought it figuring that it would only last a year or two as it has 157,843 on the odometer. after 5 years with over 173k i am still running it on the road and off road. a lil rust and oil leaks but that puppy runs forever. my point is i dont think theres a bad year for them just some latter ones are a less contankerus if they have efi...any year is good though!

started out:
1 zuk
1 wife
ended up:
1 wife ( more dependable)

^ HEDO ^
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 12:37 PM

Hi ZukiChick;

I purchased my 1988 Samurai (carburator) three years ago from a guy who definitely took care of it... It had 95,000 miles on it, but also had a new clutch system and several other items... Since then, I've added 50,000 miles to it and spent about $750 replacing parts as they wear out... This is dirt-cheap since it averages out to $250 per year for repairs.. (of course, I do all the work myself so this is about 1/3 of what those costs would be)..

At about 100,000 miles, certain major items will need replacement (clutch, starter, alternator, water pump, timing belt, etc..) This applies to any vehicle including the Suzuki... Oil leaks are usually minor and fairly easy to repair... Personally, I don't care for automatic transmissions (the early Samurais were all manual shift, I think...) Automatics always break down sooner than later and are expensive to repair or replace...

Try to get some indication from the current owner as to his/her maintenance of the vehicle... Some people really bash and dog them (constant running in excess of 5,000 rpm/ few and far between oil & filter changes/ etc..) Unless you can do the repairs yourself (or have reliable friends who will do them), you might want to look at later models (1990's) since these units will PROBABLY need fewer repairs (again that's if the owner has taken care of the vehicle)... If you can, find an independent mechanic to assess the vehicle ($50 to $125).

I don't want to drag this out... if you have questions, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]
Good luck....

LeeClark
1988 (early) Suzuki Samurai
"Life is what you make it... make it worthwhile"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello,
Where are you at?I'm in Florida and a friend of mine has a 87 or 88 zuk for sale,The motor was just rebuilt about 500 miles ago,it's white all stock but has 7 inch chrome spoke wheels.I think hes asking $2300 but i'm sure he would work with someone on that price.

QuadZuki,87 spoa,33"wild countrys
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2001, 01:00 PM

probility avoid the 82-85' samurais......the 86+ were 3" wider and eaiser to get parts for.....and don't tip as easy, although i've never seen a early one roll more often then a late model.......but 86+ are easer to get and to get parts for...

" if you don't get stuck, your not trying hard enough"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode