Off Roading Forums banner

what springs should i get?

692 views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Farther 
#1 ·
howdy,
should i buy the emu springs or the national spring? any one running these? i'm looken for a better ride, with out the toothloss i have now.

Thanks fer your time,

Jimmie & MONZUKI

"God doesn't have to hand out brains everyday."

#2 ·
I'm not runnin either, but from what I understand the OME springs provide the cushiest ride. Nationals are good springs though, I don't think they are quite as soft.

87 Samurai. S-10 Buckets. Cherry Bomb exaust. 2" lift shackles, 30-9.50 Wild Cats
2000 Chev Tracker 235/75 wild cats
If you ain't wheelin get outa here!

G
#3 ·
Thats what i am looking for also is a better ride with out more lift , been looking into rear springs up front.
But havent got a stright answer on wether it will add lift or not, Witch one is it ? I just want to go to the pick-a-part and get rear springs , take off the overload and put them on. It seems to me the front has to be heavier than the back ?

G
#4 ·
Same here trying to get a soft ride without losing anything offroad I dropped the air pressure a lot and that helps alot but a little more gas to make it go but I am in the process of cleaning up and painting a set of rears for my front should start install maybe this weekend right now i'm working on installing some 4"x4" steel rocker gaurds which should be awsome and only cost about $90 bucks to make, Take Care Don

#5 ·
I have got the OME springs all around, greasable Bone shackles and polyurethane bushings and really like them. They provide a small lift over stock, enough to go 30" while still spua. I don't have a rock crawler, just fire trail/logging road and daily driver.

-Farther

G
#6 ·
Actually.....bone stock, the weight distribution was 50/50.......that is WITHOUT all the stuff we add to them.....My rear has become much heavier than my front....until I get the winch!
Hope this helps

Andy Feingold
88.5 Samurai, SPOA,Rancho springs, Rocklobster, full cage, Schroth Harness belts, EZ locker, 32x10.50 Swampers, on board air, Weber, header etc...

G
#7 ·
I never used OME, but ran 3 inch Nationals for years. And now that I've done a spring over...I kinda miss them! They worked great. Never had a problem with them. And they are "softer" than stock, mostly I think because there is some room for compression. Stock suspension had only about 1 inch of compression before the front bottomed out. I would highly recommend the Nationals. It was an install em and forget em. The kind of modification I like!
Hope this helps

Andy Feingold
88.5 Samurai, SPOA,Rancho springs, Rocklobster, full cage, Schroth Harness belts, EZ locker, 32x10.50 Swampers, on board air, Weber, header etc...

#10 ·
howdy,
i think i'm leaning toward the emu springs. i want a soft ride and very little lift. right now i'm 6.5 spoa lift with shackles. i am runnig 33's with plenty of room. i us my sammi for mudding, and driving around in style in the summer. i know that if i go with springs that i will be looken to find a solution to the short driveshaft blues. and i'm still in the proess of gearing, i'm look to go with 5.16 front and rear. i don't want to crawl because i don't want a tralior queen. but in all good time, it winter; and i have time. springs, gears, then driveshafts in that order. any ideas or knowledge, please send them my way.

Thanks fer your time,

Jimmie & MONZUKI

"God doesn't have to hand out brains everyday."

#11 ·
Hi Jim,
One one rig I have a full set of Nationals, great springs, but they are 3" lifted springs..... which does not solve your delima.

on my other rig, I have an exact lift as you have.
I am leaning towards taking my rears up front and taking another set of less hammered stock rears
that I have and putting them in the rear.
this will bring the rear back to where it used to be and bring up the front a little.
from what I have read and heard from many people this setup up front will make it much smoother...
I have seen several kits for mounting rear springs up front.
after I read an article on IZook about some RRO install kit I kind of like that Idea the most.

hope this helps.
I believe I will end up with very little lift by doing this...

Rich_D
If you don't do anything, How do you know when you are done?

#12 ·
I also read about the RRO kit. I am not entirely convinced you need it though. A stock set of rears would raise your front end an inch. That would make it sit just about level with your rear end. I know somebody that tried to swap in the rear springs without a kit and he had a horrible wobblling that made driving it nearly impossible. I would just buy the $55 kit and enjoy. If you want the cushiest ride though I would go for the OME springs I have never heard anything but great things about them. Plus a little lift never hurt a samurai :)

Hope I could help

Shawn

87 Samurai. S-10 Buckets. Cherry Bomb exaust. 2" lift shackles, 30-9.50 Wild Cats

#16 ·
I think it translates into an inch and three quarters.

#18 ·
The only place I know for sure that sells them is RRO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.