Winch info??? Pros & Cons... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Winch info??? Pros & Cons...

I'm thinking of buying a winch for my 1988 (early) Zuk... A few weeks ago, there was a spirited discussion on the pros and cons of using a winch (NO-NO-NO... I'm not talking about females here... that type of "wench" is spelled differently!!!) I tried to do a "search" in Suzuki, ALL to find the original posting... but instead I received EVERY SINGLE POSTING that mentioned a winch (usually when a person was describing goodies on their vehicles).
How can I find the relevant info WITHOUT reading every single entry ever made???

LeeClark
1988 (early) Suzuki Samurai
"Life is what you make it... make it worthwhile"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 12:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Winch info??? Pros & Cons...

Can't say I recall that thread, but you can refine the search by the amount of time you look for. (within last 2 weeks etc..) My 2 cents- whatever winch you decide on,
get at least an 8K winch. If you ever really use it the extra ommph is more than worth the extra wieght.
I belong to a 4wd club that is mostly Jeeps and I lead the last trail run the club did, and I was quite busy hitching the back of the sami up to a handy tree and acting as Winch
man. (This pulling Cj's,and Tj's and other zooks. )
No problems and everything worked great. (I also have a GM alt and optima style battery in the beast..) I have seen
severl times where a 6K winch just outright would not handle the load. (This both Warns and Ramseys BTW.) If they had run a doubler pully sure It would have helped but two of the
times they needed it to work NOW! and it didn't.
the other big thing to do is service the damn thing once in awhile. esp if you dunk it in water or mud often.
Hope this helps.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 12:49 PM
Can't Get Enough

I agree with Glenn,
IMOP ONLY!
BUY A WARN 1st
GET AND 8000 2nd......I would rather have a 5000lb WARN than a 8000lb Ramsey.

BTW I have a X8000i

Bill Forrest
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 01:22 PM
GRW

Well I have only had two, the first was a PTO. It ROCKED, as long as the motor was running. It was on a V8 powered FJ40. I now have a Warn 5000, that I picked up for a good price. It works like a great.

Gary :-)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

I received a private rsponse from a guy who said that winches were NOT GOOD for stock Zuks (or any stock vehicle) since they tend to burn out alternators and can shorten the life of a battery... Anyone else with info... pro or con???

LeeClark
1988 (early) Suzuki Samurai
"Life is what you make it... make it worthwhile"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 03:24 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Horsefeathers!

Complete bunk, pay them no mind.

A winch is like a sink drain, your battery is the sink, and your alternator is the water tap. When you remove the drain (start the winch), it'll drain the water in the sink (battery), so you need something to fill it with (alternator). If the drain is faster than the tap, then it'll eventually run out. If you stop and let the sink refill occasionally, you'll keep the sink full. Now, most people upgrade their tap (alternator) so they can leave the drain open and the water level won't go down.

I have run my winch off the 42A alternator with no problem, no damage, but I do bump it to 2,500 rpm's to give the faucet a little more juice.

I have a Ramsey, bought it used, and it's been an awesome winch. I have seen both winches fail, Warn and Ramsey, so it depends on how it's been taken care of that matters.

Bill, let's hook up, me and my POS REP 8000 and your Warn 5000, we'll see which one gets the job done. I too have seen many 5,000 and 6,000 lb winches just stall out, nothing left, so they're not large enough, even for a Zuk. If you think they are, then go ahead and use them, just remember me when it stalls out. They may work well most of the time, but when you need larger and don't have it, you might as well not have bought it.

I have also seen 8,000 lb winches stall out, but there was a LOT of heavy mud. The pic below shows the winch I bought (this used to be my jeep), and this was the only day I'd ever seen it stall out. Another 8,000 lb winch was hooked to it to get it out.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 03:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

maybe a winch is not a good idea then. I would much rather get an extra 6 months of life out of my battery. How much would one of those off-road tow trucks charge me for a little tug to get me unstuck?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 04:05 PM

Wow Jeepn,
that is some deep, thick mud..

Rich_D
If you don't do anything, How do you know when you are done?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 06:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

**DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** **DANGER** **WARNING** !!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Winches are rated @ # ZERO LAYER PULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! (hint, more cable on winch drum=less pulling power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, do the math.. Just like getting larger tires on zook..) The warn m15000 (15000 lb!!!!!!!!!! winch will ONLY pull #4/9840lb(4463kg) on the 4th layer of cable on the winch drum...

I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 10:49 PM
Alfie

Well I guess you'll all laugh at my warn 2500lb utility winch.
Mind you I've needed it maybe three times and three times it (and a snatch block ) did the job.
Usually a snatch strap does all the work we need, specially if a V8 cruiser is on the pulling end.
Alfie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode