Towing Samurai w/ Dodge Durango - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 09:16 AM
weirdwillie

Towing Samurai w/ Dodge Durango

I am planning on towing my Samurai w/ a Dodge Durango (5.2L, 4x4). From the other posts it looks like a lot of people tow with this size of vehicle. Has anyone ever had any problem with braking? The only reason I ask is that the braking issue for towed cars seems to be getting some press in the RV circles and there are several (but expensive) systems for braking the towed vehicle. My Durango's owners manual states that any trailer over 2000 lbs. requires trailer brakes, but my State (NC) only requires trailer brakes if over 4000 lbs. My gut instinct is not to worry about it, but I would appreciate any advice/experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 09:32 AM
jaxondes

Re: Towing Samurai w/ Dodge Durango

I think you'll be alright stopping with it there.... A sammy only weights a little over 2000 ( i think) so you should have no problem.

1989 Suzuki Sidekick - bone stock
1997 Trans Am Ram Air
1985 Yamaha FZ 750
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 09:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Don't know about that, I've never had a problem towing my Zuk with my friends 88 K5 Blazer. Anyway, what part of NC are ya in? I live in Goldsboro NC

<font color=blue>-Brian</font color=blue>

ULTIMATE ZUK
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 09:56 AM
GRW

My .02 on the issue is that every time you tow it has an effect on your braking and handling ability. The big thing is to do it in a safe manner. If you have an extra 2000 lbs on the back you will have a tuffer time stopping then without it. You can get in trouble towing a sami behind a Suburban without trying (someone does something stupid and you have to react to it). If the vehicle has a 2000lbs tow rating, thats all the manufacture will back there product for. Give your self plenty of room and if you exceed that limit be awair of the possiblity for failure.

Gary
PS I have been in trouble towing a sami behind a Burb, do to someone else doing something stupid. Lucky for me I reacted right and the person in front of me gave me the extra room needed to safe my bacon.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 10:14 AM
weirdwillie

I agree with you 100%. I am not concerned about my truck being able to pull/handle the Samurai in normal driving situations. I am very concerned about those emergency situations. I pulled the Samurai the other day at 50 mph and slammed on the brakes (on an unoccupied country road of course :-). I repeated this several times. It stopped fine with no brake fade, but it definitely wasn't the same as without the extra 2000 lbs.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 10:16 AM
weirdwillie

I'm a little north of Greensboro (Summerfield). I'm planning on taking my boys down to Uwharrie for the first time this weekend.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 10:34 AM

I tow with my 4 liter cherokee all the time. Will you be flat towing or is the sami gonna be on a trailer or dolly? If you are flat towing I wouldn't suspect you will have any problems. Again, just be safe. If you are gonna put it on trailer make sure you take the additional trailer weight into consideration, but you should be fine.

Following Christ is a lot like wheelin', just follow the road (trail) less traveled!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 10:45 AM

Your Dodge Durango with a 5.2 will be fine when towing... However, the problem is when stopping... (How far is the towing distance??) A Sammi weighs just over 2000 pounds... I assume you will be using a full trailer so that all four wheels of the Zuk are on the trailer. The trailer weight will add another 500 pounds or so... At around 2500 to 2600 pounds, you are right at the limit for safe, controlled stopping with your Durango... Go slowly for safety's sake!!! (Again, the problem is NOT in the towing... it's in the stopping!! I would NOT exceed about 50 mph or so.)

Why not check with Glenn at Rocky Road to get his take on this??
Take care...

LeeClark
1988 (early) Suzuki Samurai
"Life is what you make it... make it worthwhile"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 11:16 AM
weirdwillie

Thanks for the advice. I should have been clearer on how I will be towing my Sami. I will be flat towing it with all four wheels on the ground. Like you mentioned, I didn't think the towing part would be the problem. I was worried about the braking issue. I will make sure to take it slow and cautious.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 12:07 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Not a problem. I tow with my Trooper all the time, but it has 4 wheel disc brakes, not sure about a Durango. The Zuk tows like a dream, and stopping is like nothing, I hardly know it's there.

Last weekend I towed mxnhid's Audi (one of them anyway) about 45 miles north of him, borrowed a friends double axle trailer, and I don't have a brake controller. It still towed like a dream. Stopping took a little longer, but some moron pulled out in front of me anyway and it still stopped OK.

That afternoon I towed a Zuk back to my house, about 2 hours on the same trailer, and it wasn't a problem. They're light and the trailer was top of the line. It's amamzing how nice a good trailer is, kinda like a decent welder.

That night I towed one of my Scouts a few miles back to my house, and they weigh 4,000 lbs, never mind the trailer. It still stopped fine, but I wouldn't want to tow that much weight very far.

The Durango won't have the slightest problem. When towing my Zuk, I can't see it in the outside mirrors, so it's hard to keep an eye on it. Just something to look for.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode