Towing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 08:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Towing?

What is the best way to tow my sammi on all four wheel, what i mean is do u have to do the second gear thing and nutral and start the thing every 200mi.like the book says or what ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Towing?

Four 12mm bolts - that's all. Disconnect the rear driveshaft at the diff, it's only four bolts, and secure it well to the frame (I use a ratchet strap). Make sure the front hubs are unlocked and you're on your way. You don't have to worry about what gear you're in or about what's turning inside the tranny/Xfercase. Oh yeah, make sure your steering is unlocked and leave the key in the ignition so that it remains unlocked.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 10:41 PM

YEP! RGD said it all... i tow mine that way with no problems at all. I also have a set of magnetic trailer lights that i stick on the ZUK and POOF that is it!
Rae Champoux
Trails Editor
IZOOK.COM

86 SAMMY
33"BFG MTA'S, YJ rear, 3"rears up front, w/breeze droplinks, breeze crossover steering & track bar, DT shocks, locked f&R, 4.16 case, weber, header...HUSBAND BUILT AND WIFE DRIVEN...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 10:59 PM

I've towed mine many miles without removing the driveshaft. Just put the tranny in second and the tcase in neutral with the front hubs unlocked and the key in the ignition so that the wheel is unlocked.

I tow mine about 100 miles each way ussually so its not worth removing the dshaft. I would remove it though if i were going cross country.

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 06:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steve is right. If you are only towing short distances then his method is fine. I tow like this all the time if I'm only towing to a local trail for example. However I will be towing four hours south of here tomorrow to deliver a LWB to it's new owner, so I will disconnect the shaft for that trip. Rae's idea about the magnetic trailer lights is good too. These are the ones the tow trucks use and you should be able to find them at any trailer shop.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 06:55 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I disconnect my rear shaft, take it right out, and have gotten good at it. Better to be safe than sorry. I have also inadvertently left the front hubs in, and the steering locked, learning experiences I won't soon forget.

I have towed mine for thousands of miles, easily a lot more than I have driven it. It tows like a dream, and I'm going to swap in a full floater rear D44 this winter so I'll just unlock the rear hubs as well as the front.

I also prefer to take the shaft right out, that way if something happens so the shaft does move, it won't destroy it. When I get to where I'm going, I also throw it into 4WD and drive it to a level, non-muddy area to throw the shaft back in, something you can't do easily with it hanging out.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 07:34 AM
Old Hand

Re: Towing?- another ?

I hope I don't start a heated debate with this question....but here it goes.....

What is the "mechanical" reasoning behind Suzuki wanting the Samurai to be towed with the trans in 2nd and t-case in neutral?

With the t-case in neutral...both front and rear drive shafts spin together. The front hub assembly ends up with alot of extra wear. And what's with stopping every 200 miles to run the engine? The transmission isn't turning at all when towing. The intermediate shaft isn't spinning with the transfer case in neutral.

This towing "recommendation" just never made sense to me!

Thoughts and/or comments?

ZZZiiipppppp(flame suit on) LOL

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 08:45 AM
GRW

I remove the rear shaft, leave the key in (wheel unlocked), and make sure you put down the e-brake. I sold my black 87 and the new owner forgot that and was roasting the tires. I was able to get his attention before he got to far. I also use the magnet lights, I found u-haul to be the cheapest in my area (around $25).

Gary

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 12:12 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Oh yeah, I made my own light bar using some old CJ rear lights and wire I had sitting around. Cost me $5 for the trailer connectors. It mounts to the spare tire lugs on the back and comes off easily. I can get pics if anyone would like. The magnetic ones go for like $50, or at least that's the cheapest I could find them for.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 12:43 PM
Old Hand

I agree with Jbird.
I don't understand why you put the t-case in neutral, because then the front driveshaft does spin. I once sat in my zuk while it was being flat towed to see if there were any problems, and the vibration was terriable, due to the front shaft spinning. It seems like there would be less wear putting the t-case in 2-hi and the tranny in neutral. Someone please explain.

-Ryan
'88 Sami. Moderately modified. Two track mind
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode