SMOG!@#$! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just bought a Sammy, looking for one was as tough as finding a needle in a hay stack..... But the problem that I am having is that it wouldn't pass smog. The mechanic told me that for the normal points for this sammy to pass was 100 points and this one exceeds by 500 points. He also said that there is fuel comming out of the exhaust that isn't burning. What does that mean, that is why I am trying to find out. So is anyone knows of anything please reply. The reason why is because I live in California and I can't get it registed without SMOG. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 05:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The good ole Republik of Kalifornia...that state sucks... i don't know why you guys tolerate the B.S. laws they come up with out there...unburned fuel is a common cause for high emissions...although without a gas analyzer, it's hard to say where you're running on the scale...the mechanics know this and have you over a damned barrel...it could be something as simple as a tune up, or an O2 sensor...then again, it could be the carb is shot, or the ecm is nutty....give more info about your Zuk...maybe me or someone else can help more...

ROACH Da NastyPimp[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
http://http:briefcase.yahoo.com/roachtrax go to crazy pics, and check'em out...e-mail response, reaction, or questions to [email protected]!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-583478-gamepark-roach1.jpg (5.3 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 05:50 PM

got to love cail ! here in arkansas ive seen cars running open headers and a pipe and thats it. check your timinmg for starters adj your vavles and do a new tune up on it plugs wires ext, maybe timing chain. and theres a addivtie they sell that supossed to help a little o and a new o2 sensor

RUN IN TO YOU LATER ,and yes if you dont no it buy now i cant spell LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its all stock and doesn't have any type of modification on the sammy. Last year I saw the smog receipt and it passed with flying colors. From that point on the owner before me only pu about 10000 on it. The odometer read 56454, which is probably actually 156454. I spoke with the previous owner and he said that he didn't do much to it. Compression seems to be fine and a tune up looks like it was just done, also a new muffler. other than that it looks completely stock.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 06:26 PM

check your timing and your air to fuel mixture

RUN IN TO YOU LATER ,and yes if you dont no it buy now i cant spell LOL!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 06:32 PM

Sounds like a new O2 senser and cat might be in your future

-Farther
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 07:16 PM

First off, most smog laws suck. I left Cali for a number of reasons but unfare smog tests was number three.

If it passed the test last year (and we are assuming they didn't just hook it up to a different car), then it could be the timing belt, timing, valve clearance, carb, vaccuum hoses, pcv valve, gosh the list is a longer one than this.

I say, consider it another tax of California, and bribe the smog tech. Or, remove the heat shield off the manifold, and wrap the pipes with header tape, all the way to the cat. Then put the heat shield back on. The strategy is to get the pipes so hot before the test, that they will act as another place to burn the fuel. I wouldn't drive all day that way, but...

Calmini 5", 32" TSLs, daily driver, work in progress...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 07:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

wow they just stopped it here in jax, Fl right after that I got a header and cut my cat right off straight pipe to a cherry bomb now and yes I am screwed if they put it back into effect!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 03:11 PM

Where in Cali do you live? I'm in So. Cal., Corona to be exact. If you are in the south you may want to consider taking it to Gary at http://www.petroworks.com and having them take a look at it. If you are close to me, maybe I can help.

Following Christ is a lot like wheelin', just follow the road (trail) less traveled!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2001, 03:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

First off- Welcome to the BBS.
2nd - what year sami are we talking about?

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode