Lift for 33's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Lift for 33\'s

Ok I am building my Samurai one step at a time. I am currently running extended shackles that are 2" longer that stock. I am clearing my 30 by 9.5's just fine. I don't like how low the crudy approach angle I have with the shackles, and I have a chance to buy a set of 3" trail master springs, with 4 SSV shocks, for $200.00. Running down a list I was thinking I will need a z-link, and longer break lines. I was thinkin of going with RRO rubber lines. I think that's all I will need for now. Probably next winter I will be doing a SPOA and I am hoping to be able to fit 33's under it with the SPOA and the 3" lift springs.

Do you all think the Z-link will still work with the spoa?
Also just double checkin 33's will fit with that combo right?

87 Samurai. S-10 Buckets. Cherry Bomb exaust. 2" lift shackles, 30-9.50 Wild Cats
2000 Chev Tracker 235/75 wild cats
If you ain't wheelin get outa here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 05:55 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Lift for 33\'s

Yep, you're on the right track. IMHO, the spoa is the way to go. When you do the soa, you may want to go with rear springs up front, which will also move your axle foreward about an inch - you will need the extra room. Also you may want to pound back the lip inside the rear of the front fenderwell to keep it from chewing into your tires.
Once you do the spoa, you may also need driveline spacers or extended shafts, depending on what you're comfortable with.
I have a 5.5 soa, with 2" longer shackles (1" lift), stock springs, but front is moved foreward 1", I cut as much fenderwell as I could and installed TJ flares on the rear. I'm running 33 Baja Claws (which are actually a strong 32"), and I still rub just a little at full flex, but not enough to tear anything up. If you're looking into getting swampers, you're gonna need more lift than that.
Oh, and I have a 3" drop pitman arm which still doesn't quite do the trick, so I'm getting a Z-link to help. Extended brake lines are a must for the front. On the rear, you can relocate the mounting tabs for the brake line or get the extended hose.

Scott Trester - '88.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 08:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Trailmaster springs are pretty stiff. We did set a Zuk up once with Trailmasters and an SPOA. Only kept the two longest leafs at that time and it worked pretty decent.

http://www.rocky-road.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 08:56 AM
GRW

??? (*I'm running 33 Baja Claws (which are actually a strong 32"), and I still rub just a little at full flex, but not
enough to tear anything up. If you're looking into getting swampers, you're gonna need more lift than that.)
What type of swamper are you talking about ? I have the TSL R's and they are a strong 32".
The SSR is on the other hand are bigger. The 32 X11.50 SSR is about the same size as my 33X12.50 TSL R.
I agree with the SPOA and the rears up front with missing links :-) I have YJ rear's in the rear with missing links.
The ride is nice, the flex is nice, and the price is better then say the OME's. I have the 4 leave yj and will be going the the 5 leave soon. The 4 leave is great if you don't have much weight in back. I am fine with my youngest 2 kids in the back, (4 and 6) they don't weight much. But if you put a bigger person or added weight it will rub hard. A stock SPOA may handle 33's, I'm not sure. I would think it would require bigger bump stop to keep it from rubbing.

Gary

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 12:58 PM

Skip the trailmasters and those SSV shocks, those together would be stiffer than stiff, and likely a total waste of $$$. We discontinued the SSV shocks as they were way too stiff, I had an extra set around here, and the ones that would have gone on the rear of the Samurai were the perfect length for the front of my 6000 lb Dodge, there they work pretty good. A 4.5" SPOA will do 31's, a 5.5" SPOA will do 32's, and for 33's, you will need around 6.5" - 7" of total lift. I run 33x12.50's on mine with 8" of lift, and plenty of room.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 10:06 PM

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Go with the longest brake lines that you can find. I went with 20" fronts and 23" rear lines since they were about the same. This way I never need to replace them for longer ones. I got mine through Brent at Trail Tough. I'm not sure how long Glenn's are.

If you can swing it, I would go with the Breeze cross-over steering. I am running YJ's with a spring over (9-10 inches total lift) and I started off with a z-link. It worked, but I got tons of bump steer. I have since replaced it with the Breeze setup and have no bump steer anymore.

Also, go spring over. You will end up doing it later on.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode