calling all SPOA boys n Gals - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 05:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

calling all SPOA boys n Gals

ok, ok,

I know I've been beating this thing to death but I'm about to go get all the materials needed to do the mod.

can you guys and gals post flex pics of standard SPOA using stock springs?

what are your thoughts about doing this mod to a narrow track sierra with 32" BFG Mt's?

'85 SuziSkip
Slowly building a beast.

Need some custom graphic/new media design done?
Visit http://www.newflavour.com today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 06:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: calling all SPOA boys n Gals

I'm sure everyone else will have some flex pics for you. Main thing to remember if youare doing it yourself is NOT to get spring pads that do not have gusseting. Ungusseted spring pads are a danger to you and those on the highway around you. Spend an extra couple bucks, your life is worth it.

Also, take the time to mount your shocks to the bottoms of your axles. Any flex you might get excited about will be negated by locking in your suspension with stock sized shocks.

http://www.rocky-road.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 07:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey skippy, agreed with glenn man, dont chince on pads, not worth it. think i got some pics of my p.o.s. at home with calmini s/r and stock springs all the way around. only got the bottom of the windsheild post on the chevette.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 07:54 AM

just finshed a buddies of mine rig he got the gussed spring perches with i think 2 extra inches man those things where tall and on top of that he wanted pro comp 2 inch cj add a leafs in it ! well we but them in there all toghther right now he has 10 inhes of lift! with stock wheels and tyires right now but thats what he want a lift not FLEX . he uses hes to mud not climb well he got it! i will try to get some pictures up in a day or 2. belive it or not it doesnt ride as bad as i thought it would but we also but some seats out of a 84 thunder bird in there they just about bolted right in . man they ride good going to have to hunt me up a set

RUN IN TO YOU LATER ,and yes if you dont no it buy now i cant spell LOL!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 10:40 AM
Can't Get Enough

Ok, sorry Glenn, I have to ask How and why are ungusseted spring pads a danger? I have had the normal Conn Ferr pads (before they came out with the capped ones) for well over 6 years of service now.

Bill Forrest
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't want to pick on anybody's setup, but just like lift blocks on the front... lateral forces play havoc with spring mounting on the front axle. Blocks can deform and/or pop out. Ungusseted spring pads can fold over sideways. Typically they are spec'd only for use on trailers anyway.

My personal view is that they are unsafe. My family's safety is worth a few extra bucks to get good gusseted spring pads. I personally don't skimp when it comes to safety.

Its good that yours have held up. I'd definetely think about welding in some sort of added gusset though before something does happen.

http:// www.rocky-road.com

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 02:10 PM

I have to agree with Glenn,

You only really die once, why not make it later as aposed to sooner?

Safety, how do you put a price on it?

I just believe, if you are going to do something, do it right the first time, it may be the only time you get.

Rich_D
If you don't do anything, How do you know when you are done?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 03:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

Ok I'm going to play devils advocate here. Having a 4 year old I agree with not skimping on safety. BUT I don't think that the OEM guy's (Toyota,Chevy,Ford) would do anything questionable. The Conn Ferr Perches are like stock OEM Perches. I also think that with a Conn Ferr perch would do very well against the lateral forces in which you describe. There is a difference in force between a stock SPOA perch and a SPOA perch with a Block in there. It's all about leverage. The stock unit being so low it would not matter much esp. on a 2000lb rig such as the Samurai.

Bill Forrest
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 04:39 PM

Well Skip,
You asked for pictures, I have a picture for you. This is with stock springs, stock upper shock mounts front and rear, I have the squared u-bolts with the plate under the axle and the lower shock mounts are attached to that. and I have some really short rancho 5000's. the ride is actually pretty stiff (need shocks bad) and I spend more time bouncing than flexing, but again, that is because of the shocks. Anyway, here's the pic.

Following Christ is a lot like wheelin', just follow the road (trail) less traveled!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-581341-flex2.JPG (95.6 KB, 50 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 04:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

bill baby, your good man. thanks for the devils advocate thing. i agree with glen, but i also agree with you on this one too. yes, a zuk isnt heavy, but when multiplying forces combined with a twist and turned 33s, the forces get crazy. i have personally test drove a zuk in town, had trailer perches on it, managed to twist one off the drivers side front while **testing** the 4wd on it. the welds stayed on there, the perch literally ripped. glen is right, but you are too. ive seen breezes perches, complete beef. when i got my spoa pads, i got glenns. i didnt have a working welder. had to bolt em on TIGHT, load on trailer n go to welder to get em welded. the taller the perch, id worry more about them collapsing. im just saying its cheaper to go with a quality perch, confer, breeze, rro, or any other *quality* perch instead of trying to chince on a $2.99 perch from tractor supply co....
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode