R&P or t-case gear reduction? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

R&P or t-case gear reduction?

I'm buildin' my zook up over the winter. I'm lookin' to spend as little as possible. i'm planning on running 33's. This vehicle WILL be a daily driver. With that in mind, would i be better off with changing my diff. gears, or t-case gears? If i understand it correctly... the 4.16 transfer case gears will preserve my low end torque, as well as increase my speeds on the highway. Am i understanding this correctly? I think i need some input.
thanx

1987 LWB, stock (for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 07:07 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: R&P or t-case gear reduction?

The R&P will help you all the time on and off road, the T-case will help some ON road, but will do alot more offroad.

I say go for T-case gears. You can drive a sammy fine with big tires and stock gears, I did it for 5 years I just didnt use 5th and I wasnt a speed demon but it still got me to 65, but the T-Case gears will give a better reduction for off road while helping some on road. :-)

DougO

88.5 Sami with 35" Goodyear MT/R's
89 Sidekick "my lil rust bucket" with 3 - 235/75-15 Goodyear MT's anyone got a pair for sale?!
ICQ 52576971
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

thanx DougO... another factor is complexity. I'm a do-it-yourself mechanic. I'm fairly skilled, but unexperienced. I usually have no problems with most jobs i undertake, but i haven't really tried anything for the highly skilled yet. Is re-gearing a t-case or a diff. better off left for the proffesionals? or would it be a good learning experience for me... i'm sure i'd be able to seek expertise from you guys if i got really stuck. i'd like to do it by myself, but don't want to mess things up!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 07:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I would go for the 4:89 t-case gears[I think thats what the next set is]You will have a little bit better chance at using 5th gear,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 09:26 PM
Skip

I've got the GRS 2 (4.89's) with 31's. I have no problems with 60 - 65 mph and love low range off road. It took me about 4 hours to do the gearset. That included pulling, cleaning, installing the gears and reinstalling the t-case. I'd never seen the inside of a Sami t-case or pulled one prior to that. I used regular hand tools. I did make a bracket out of 2" angle iron to hold the output shaft yo loosen the nut. Ring and Pinion, if you don't know what you're doing take it to someone who does. I bought mine from Petroworks and the instructions are great.

Skip
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

you're turning 31's with no prob's eh?... i'm going with 33's though... but i guess one inch greater radius isn't that much difference eh?...
so you would also recommend the t-case gears over r&p for a daily driver?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 09:43 PM
Pooh-Bah

The Tcase gears would be less then a R&P swap, and I think easier to set up, less of a hassle also and can be done in a few hours providing ya access to the right tools, rather then a full day or 2 of setting up gears.

DougO

88.5 Sami with 35" Goodyear MT/R's
89 Sidekick "my lil rust bucket" with 3 - 235/75-15 Goodyear MT's anyone got a pair for sale?!
ICQ 52576971
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

What manufacturers make 4:89 gearsets for the t-case? Just petroworks?... it's kinda funny that i always see glenn and brent representing thier companys on this board, but never anyone from petroworks. It would be nice to be able to see every company representing themselves. the fact that i see these company's repsenting themselves and giving a hand to anyone who needs it kinda gives them some integrity in my eyes!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 10:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have a GRSII (4.89) case with 33 BFG's. I Have little probs. If I where you I'd look into the new 6.1 case from Asian auto parts of AZ. It lowers the high range lower than the 4.89 case
http://www.asianautopartsofaz.com/suz-tcase.html

Bill Forrest
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 10:14 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have a GRSII (4.89) case with 33 BFG's. I Have little probs. If I where you I'd look into the new 6.1 case from Asian auto parts of AZ. It lowers the high range lower than the 4.89 case
http://www.asianautopartsofaz.com/suz-tcase.html

Bill Forrest
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode