Easy HP Gain for the 1.3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Easy HP Gain for the 1.3

I have just installed an Alumicoat header. I had a local exhaust shop build a 2" exhaust with a freeflowing large chambered cat converter. WOW ! ! ! I can't believe what a difference this has made in response and power
I'm running a stock 1.3 engine w / EFI and 31/11.50 GRS II... and It was a gutless little beast.

This combo has really brought this little 4 banger to life.. Those sluggish highway hills are now a thing of the past... No more tailgaters.... I am now zipping up those hills in 4th instead of 3rd and not " mashing " the pedal anymore.
There seems to be more bottom end torque as it pulls away a whole lot faster than before..

The processor has definitely adjusted the fuel trim ratio as I can see it in the fuel mileage.. Was 18-20 mpg, not sure yet how much different but it's definitely better...

I'll bet the 1.6 kicks a** with a header setup...

Can't wait to wheel it for an off-road test....

Definitely a great mod for around $400.

rodnee

Kool ZOOKS Rule
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 06:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Easy HP Gain for the 1.3

another cheap way to gain power with the 1.3 EFI engine is to add a Tracker 1.6 TBI, the bore is way bigger. I am in the middle of testing this with my '90 sami. The engine is junk, I am building up another one for it. The top speed before was 75MPH, I threw on the 1.6TBI (and didnt even adjust it yet) and noticed it was much more responsive then before. I was able to get it to 85MPH, I could have pushed it a little more but my exit was coming up. Other then the TBI the engine is bone stock, this engine I am putting together will have the 1.6 intake manifold, 1.6 head (bigger exhaust valves) with a torque cam, hedder and 2" exhaust. It should move pretty good (for a 1.3!) The 1.6 TBI was almost a direct bolt-on, I had to swap out a few parts from the 1.3 TBI but its all ease stuff. It took me about 45 minutes from start to finish. If someone wants more details ,let me know, I would like to know how this works off-road (this one probally will not see the trail for a while.) Power wise, I think this is the equivelent of adding the Webber to a carbed sami. I had the TBI sitting around but I think they could be found cheap ($50 maybe). Yankee Tim, once you get yours we can do some before/after tests, take pictures and do a write up.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 09:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I personally like the way the swift bottom end sounds man! I just do not know all the stuff you need in order to do this! Oh and the fact that they put the 1.6 8v valves in sammies some how also seems cool!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 11:45 AM

Swift GT and GTi motors were forged crank, rods, and pistons. My mom had one and I rice-rocketed it around all the time.

Peace through overwhelming firepower
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 02:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yep, that was the first thing I did to my samurai...

It kicked a$$ until the engine died of natural causes. The rebuilt 1.3 re-confirmed the value of a header and a more open exhaust (mine was Thorley and 2.25" pipes...) as a power-inducing mod.

Ack

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how much $ and time and parts do i need to slap a 1.6TBI onto a 88.5 Zuk (stock1.3)?

ROACH Da NastyPimp[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
http://http:briefcase.yahoo.com/roachtrax go to crazy pics, and check'em out...e-mail response, reaction, or questions to [email protected]!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

man money will not be that bad since you already have a efi that you can switch out and sell to get money back with! If I was to switch anything with my sammies efi..I would probably convert to weber! unless the 1.6 tbi did around that much gain!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 07:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

To convert to EFI on a carbed sami would require some work, you would have to gather all the parts and modify the harness, I dont think it would be that cheap.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 08:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Zooky did you guys ever make up a diagram of the harness to hook up a 1.6 8 valve? I have one sitting aroung but I HATE the thought of buying a garness at $600 weak Canadian bucks.
anyone...

DannyL

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 09:53 PM

I got a harness for a 1.8 valve danny.

Randy, I just picked up that 91 sammi with fuel injection, so im going to try to buy a few trackers with bad engines so i can pilage the efi off of them. You put a header on yours as well? I think this rig is a prime canidate for a build up next spring for the coil overs, dont know yet though what exactly im going to do with the external cage hardtop. I figured im going to decide come january and just focus on fabing up a few coil set ups. If you get the time tommorow call me from work on my cell, or email me off line your work number and ill call you during lunch. Max

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode