JEEPN! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

JEEPN!

I figured I'd repost this so you will see it.

Sorry, it's a 1973 Jeep "Commando" but doesn't say Jeepster nor Commando, only Jeep. It has the envelope-style front nose clip, not the earlier CJ style nose. It's built on the elongated CJ-6 frame. 104" wheelbase. It's a C104 frame (fully boxed). Runs the 76+ CJ7 springs (2" up front, 2.5" in the rear.)

It's got the 304 V8, a Dana 20 t-case and a TH400 tranny. It has a spare D-18 in the back bed, which I'm told can be meshed with the D-20 to make a crawler gearset. It's got the D30 front and D44 flanged axle in the rear. Rear is center section. GM Powersteering. Drums all around, but easily swapped to disc so I'm told.

Reason? My friend has a yard with 50+ jeeps, several Kaiser trucks and many Scouts of all years. We're looking to inventory and determine value for sale. He's got the stuff, and I have the web presence to help him (he's 52 and is scared of ATMs)

I'm keeping the "Jeepster". So what do I have with this Jeep? Is it sought after? Can't see why.

The axles could be used on a buggy using the Kick motor and auto tranny, whick is set for a center section.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 11:57 AM

Re: JEEPN!

Yankee,
where is your friend located??? and what kind of condition are the Scouts in?

My friend would love to pick up a couple of them, he was just asking me if I knew of somewhere
there was any scouts that I knew of....

Rich_D
If you don't do anything, How do you know when you are done?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The "collection" is located in Columbia County, about 100 miles north of NYC. I'm not sure what exactly he has. I do know there are lots of D30,D35 and D44s And some D60 and D70 axles. My friend Joe isn't even sure how many are up there. We're going up this weekend or next to write everything down.

He plans on ebaying everything off. And that is where I can help him. I'll let everyone know once I got the info.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 12:18 PM

thanks,
you can email me [email protected] when you get the info and I will forward it to my friend.

Rich_D
If you don't do anything, How do you know when you are done?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 01:09 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Not a lot there that's "great", but they are kinda rare as no one wanted them so they threw them away [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. They look too much like a Blazer to me.

Just kidding.

It does have the D30 front, with the drum brakes, and it's open knuckle, with the 260X joints. The closed knuckle D30's of the Wagon/Truck/Cherokee had closed knuckles and the 5-74X joints common with the D27.

The rear is a good axle, and actually pretty well sought after as a swap into a CJ, it's the same narrow track width as the '81 and under short wheelbase jeeps.

The frame isn't a CJ-6 frame, it's unique and stronger than a CJ-6, the strongest of it's era.

If you're curious about prices on jeep stuff, give me a shout, I keep up with all that stuff (obviously), and am always in the market for something as well. There are some axle/tranny/transfer combos that aren't worth a lot, like next to nothing, so not everything has a high price associated with it. Heck, he'll have all he can do to give some of the stuff away. However, some of the other stuff is like GOLD, I've heard of $1,000 being offered for a particular tranny, with $600 being the going price on others.

Most of the Kaiser Truck stuff (I am assuming M-715 and M-725) isn't worth as much as people think it is. It might be to a collector, but not the general public and those are two totally different groups. If it's the D60 and D70 that's on the military's, they are not the same as the other D60's and D70's, which makes them an oddball. Still stout, but not as strong as more modern D60's and D70's. (Did you know those came ONLY with 5.88 gears?)

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

So keep the Commando you suggest? Joe said that the frame is a beast, and some use it under CJ-6 or CJ-8 bodies. I think he said the Scrambler. And the axles would be bulletproof for a tube buggy with a Kick drivetrain.

As for what he gots. There are several commandos, Jeeps from the MB and CJ3 to the CJ8 and even a early 80's model Golden Eagle and Renegade. There a several Wagonneers, but no XJ/ZJ stuff. There are a several J series trucks, which I think the big dana stuff is on. As for New Process t-cases, all types are there. Heck, one of the old CJ3's has a PTO winch in the rear bed.

Most everything in the "yard" was kept because it was usable or rare.

As you know, Mark. I don't know dick about Jeeps, but Joe is like you. Spits the stats and specs off like nothing. He can read a VIN and tell you exactly what was on the truck/car and what had been changed (right down to the paint color). The two of you together would be dangerous.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I'll let you know what I find. Maybe we can work a deal on you appraising everything in exchange for goodies.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeepn, you are so the man. I have never seen a question on this list you couldn't answer or at least give good insite to. When I grow up I want to be like Jeepn. Thanks for all the valuable help you have given me with both my zuk and jeep (I don't have it anymore) I would also like to throw a you the man to LEVE on the shortwheel base list. The guy is incredible!

"Where the land and my Zook meet, my spirit soars, my soul is alive, and my life has true meaning."
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:17 PM
I Do This For The Glory

PTO winch in the bed?

(drool, drool...slobber)

Tes, the drivetrain would kick butt in a tube buggy, but a D44 front with discs would be better.

The Commando shared the same wheelbase as the Scrambler (104" to 103.5"), but never heard of anyone swapping frames as the Scrambler frames were similar in strength to the Commando's.

Check out some of the J-trucks from the early 60's while you're down there, some back then had, are you ready for this, IFS! Yep, waaaaaaay back then.

Some of the J-truck stuff is valuable due to the high steer components, some of the rear ends are 5 lug D60's (with 35 spline shafts), and check out the headlights on the MB, when you pop the grill you can grab the headlight and rotate it up and backwards to use when working on the engine. Really cool stuff.

Wish I were going down there, but then the wife would KILL me. Still, I may have to sneak out of the house one weekend...

BTW, I can run VIN numbers to see exactly what year the Jeeps actually are, and I probably have a manual for anything in the yard.

If you find any overdrives that fit a flatfender or CJ-5, I'm more than interested.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:33 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Thanks Jason, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately I only know jeeps, not Zuk's,, so I'm kinda lost in the woods when it comes to them. I'm trying though.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 04:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

{Unfortunately I only know jeeps, not Zuk's,, so I'm kinda lost in the woods when it comes to them}

YEA RIGHT!!! Pretty nice rig for someone who doesn't know. BTW Did you say you have a set of CJ fronts in your barn FS? Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode