New to Zuki's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New to Zuki\'s

I just got a 86 Sammy and was wondering if anyone has put a Jeep 4 cylinder into one? They are nice and small and good power for the size of a Zuki.
Thanks
Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 12:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: New to Zuki\'s

Can't do it. The zook would become irrate and reject it's transplanted heart.

Besides, why do all of that when a 1.3 is just fine for moving a zook? It's more in the gears than in the HP, at least for rockcrawling.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 12:05 PM

RW
Sidekick engines work really good.
I have a 16v 1.6 122HP in one of my samurai's and I love it.

Rich_D
If you don't do anything, How do you know when you are done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 12:59 PM
I Do This For The Glory

You crack me up Tim.

The problem with the Jeep 4 cyl engines is they don't put out a lot of power for their weight. Look at the ratings compared to a 1.6/1.8 tracker engine and there's a difference.

There's also a lot of weight, since the jeep blocks are usually cast iron and the Zuk blocks are all aluminum. I don't know how well the thin frame on a Zuk would hold up the extra weight.

The again, people have swapped Chevy engines into them with good results, so who knows.

Give it a whirl. I have a few GM151 4 cyls laying around, maybe I'll experiment when I have some free time in a few years. Throw an SM465 behind it (6.55:1 first) and a new 6.1:1 T-case, with some 5.38 gears, and you'll have 215:1 low range! Of course, it'll be completely useless for anything practical, but think of the bragging rights!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is amazing that you posted about having a motor laying around. I was just about to post a question asking if anyone had a jeep 4 banger laying around that would fit a 65 tuxcedo park (spelling). It has a four on the floor instead of the three on the tree but the bell housing bolt pattern is the same.

"Where the land and my Zook meet, my spirit soars, my soul is alive, and my life has true meaning."
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 02:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

"You crack me up Tim."

Hey, I aim to please!

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:07 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Not the same engine.

The GM 151 was made for 1/2 a year in '80, all of '81, and 1/2 a year in '82. It shares the same bolt pattern as the Smallblock Chevy engines. The good news is you can get Marine parts to bump the horsepower from 85 to about 250, but I imagine it won't last long at that compression.

You have the F-head (diagram of the valves) 134 engine, not even close to being the same.

You have a 4 speed on the floor? Not in a Tuxedo Park (unless it was a swap job), they all had 3 on the tree. Your best bet if you want a little more power and a little newer engine than the F-134 is to look for the 2.3L out of a Ford (Pinto and other smaller cars), it's almost a direct swap.

I tell you what, if you really have a 4 speed on the floor, I'll swap you a whole drivetrain, including a 3 speed for it, and something a little more modern.

In case you're wondering why, the 4 speed is the T-98 tranny, which was VERY rare. They are popular with the flatfender crowd as they have a 6.4:1 first and could be swapped behind the L-134 (flathead) that came in the flatfenders. The T-98 is the predecessor to the venerable T-18/A and is a nice tranny, it just uses bushings where the T-18/A uses bearings. Why, yours has 85:1 crawl right from the factory! I have seen people refuse to sell theirs for $1,000, personally I would have ditched it, but it is a highly sought after tranny.

The F-134 put out 72 horsepower when new, so it's a little weak, but then the CJ-5 only weighed 2,000 pounds anyway.

How's this sound. Take the T-98 and D-18 out of the jeep and swap them into the Zuk. They'll fit behind the stock tranny, so you'll run 2 trannies and a transfer, and the D18 transfer even has a drum mounted E-brake on it, so you can swap the rear discs onto the D44 when you swap that in as well. All you'd need is a front D30 with 5.38 gears. Imagine, you'd have 309:1 crawl, and infinite ranges in between, right up to the 1:1 final drive. Now how much better than that can it get?

Of course, for tearing apart a Tuxedo Park (if that's what it is), you'll have every jeep nut within 10 states gunning for you, but that's half the fun of it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

VIN # says yes it is a toxedo park. The problem is the body is gone and the engine is frozen. So I have a decent frame and great running gear. The spline counts on the axels are not the best but what can you do with stock stuff. The trans was swaped out but the second owner. I know the engine bolts right up to it without a problem. Thanks for the info. You gave me a lot to think about. Funny thing is I have two rare hunks of rust I have a 73 Renigade with the special options package also. What to do with it all?

"Where the land and my Zook meet, my spirit soars, my soul is alive, and my life has true meaning."
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:38 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Hey, don't throw away that hulk just yet!

The rear axle is 19 spline with 5.38's in it (or should be anyway), and it makes for an EASY disc conversion. If you can find them, the '77 and '78 model years had a 6 bolt caliper bracket on the front D30 that is almost a direct swap onto the rear axle. Buy some axle shafts and couple them with the 6 bolt larger hubs and what have you got?

How about homebrew rear discs with a full floating rear axle? Easy to flat tow, just unlock the hubs and you're sailing!

I plan on doing this with mine, I have almost all the parts already, even another D30 front with 6 bolt hubs, just need to change the gear ratio. I also need to rebuild the D44 rear, but that's easy.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode