How's done the 1.6L swap? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

How\'s done the 1.6L swap?

I'm definitely going to be doing the swap soon, and I still don't understand exactly what can be swapped between engines. I know I'll need the 1.6 alternator and starter, but what about the water pump? Also, can the fan and fan clutch be passed between the engines? One last question: I know I've heard that the 1.6L sits a bit higher than the 1.3 and that the exhaust has to be modified? Just how much higher does it sit? The reason I ask is because I'll be buying a larger exhaust as well, and I would like to know what kind of mods need to be done to it. If they're extensive, then I may as well get a custom one built.
Thanks everyone!
Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

WHO\'s done the 1.6L swap?

Doh! That should have read, "who's" not "how's"...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 10:14 AM
Journeyman

Re: How\'s done the 1.6L swap?

Hi Steve -

Leave the 1.6 complete - pump, fan, pulleys and all. You will need an engine adaptor kit. The block is 1" taller. Your Samurai exhaust will fit as well as your Samurai intake manifold and carburetor.

Brent
Trail Tough Products
1-877-789-8547
www.trailtough.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 10:34 AM

Ok that was almost complete. You need the airbox, exhaust down to the cat if its newer then 95, wiring harness, ecm, alt, get the power steering if you have the option, and you dont need the starter, you use the sammi one. Glenn (wildweasal) and i did my swap, you need the adapter kit, IF you adapt the samuri tranny to the 16v engine. If your just doing the 8v its a waste of time except for the added benifit of fuel injection. I know places that sell everything you need for 850$ except the tranny and the power steering. They sell those too. The 8v's are a hundred less. If i were you, (and im doing this myself) I would do a 16v swap plus the FOUR WHEEL DRIVE transmission with the transfer case mounted to it. Send the Trnsfr case off to OTT industries in B.C. and for 480$ they will make an adapter plate for it and you have duel trnsfr cases so you can mate it up to your divorced transfer case. This way im getting the benifit of an automatic transmission, dual transfer cases and a bigger engine with bigger tranny to boot.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 08:13 AM
Cap34

My exhaust had to be modified because with the 1600, I had no clearance between the catalytic convertor and the heat shield under the floor. I already had a custom exhaust which was tucked up real high. If I had anticipated properly, I could have had enough clearance built in before the swap.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

Thanks for all the help. It sounds like I should be OK with everything being complete and fitting properly. BTW, Brent, I just ordered the 1.6L adaptor plate and fuel pump from you guys at TrailTough, last week ;-> Just waiting for it to arrive to get moving on the swap.
Cheers!
Steve

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 10:01 PM
Journeyman

Re: Thanks guys!

Hi Steve -

We will keep you going the right direction here. DO NOT try to use your Samurai starter. It does not fit well without major grinding. And the Samurai exhaust manifold WILL bolt right up to your 1600 8 valve head. I assumed you weren't using the fuel injection since you ordered the low pressure fuel pump. So your intake manifold and carburetor will bolt right on and work fine. You may need to raise the air cleaner because the induction hose might be a little short due to the fact that the engine is 1" taller. Feel free to call me on our toll free number if you have any other questions.

Brent
Trail Tough Products
1-877-789-8547
www.trailtough.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again Brent...

Yes, I will be keeping the engine carbed since I just recently purchased the Weber carb. It has been giving me some minor choke problems, but overall, the power it delivers is well worth the minor problems I am experiencing.
I'm also considering a cam swap into the 1.6L, but I'm wondering if the power difference would be worth the swap. Any comments? I live in Canada so by the time the cam gets to me from the States, I'm easily looking at $300 Canadian. Do you think I should bother with the cam?
Thanks again and I will definitely call your toll-free # if I have any questions.
Cheers!
Steve

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 01:29 PM

Re: Thanks again Brent...

I have an AAPA low-end cam in my 1.6. I can definantly feel the difference w/the cam....and best of all it worked with my EFI. You'll get some extra "Grunt" and the expense of a few MPG's. I notice the grunt the most when driving my big tires up a steep incline.

RoBeRt
"Reality goes on without me!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode