rover v8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

rover v8

Hi there,

I am thinking about swapping engines. My stock Samurai engine is way to weak. I am thinking about the Rover 3,5l V8 as it is a good tradeoff between weight and power.
Someone offered me two engines plus automatic transmissions for cheap money.

Do you have tried this swap yet? Does anyone know the specific problems to leave the car street-legal?

Thanks for all your ideas expiences, thoughts etc.

Best regards,

norbert

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 10:01 AM
Cap34

Re: rover v8

I stumbled across a web site with a whole bunch of info about swapping Rover V8s into MGBs. It had a lot of info about the engine itself. If I can find it again, I'll post the location here.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 01:22 PM
GRW

There is a web site out there (not in the US) that is or was doing a Rover swap.
But I will have to try and find it. It was a BIG sami with tons of mod. He had looked at alot of different types of lifts.
If I remember correctly he had alot of wheel travil. He had narrowed the rear frame for more wheel travil.
I found it: http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/features/jnpbuild.htm
Gary

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:17 PM
Alfie

A man in my club had a Zuk (LJ 80 ) with a rover 3.5L
Twin SU carbs, went very well, but not road legal and appeared to require a shoehorn to get it in.
I'll ask him for some details when I see him next. Could be a while tho.
Alfie.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Hi Cap34,

thanks for your suggestion. I have tried and spotted this page. It is good for a start.

regards,

norbert

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Hi Gary,

this page is absolutely smashing! Thanks for your posting. The info on the engine swap is useful. I think ole' Rhinosaurus Rex would never be road legal in Germany. What a shame.

cu norbert

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Norbert

That's my Suzuki project with a Rover V8 - still unfinnished - keep changing my mind & moving the goal posts.
It fits in there really snug if you don't mind relocating the radiator.
I'm in the process of getting another Rover V8 in another Suzuki ( this time a pick-up I got for free - it's a hard life ) & again got to relocate the rad. The only thing that will go under the hood is an oil cooler which I'd recomend. You can save some room by changing the Rover water pump for a Buick one which is a couple of inches shorter.
It's a quick project & should be done by end of 2001 if you need any other advice.

As for the auto box - it's long cos I looked into it cos I had one (BorgWarner 55 or 45 - same as in a Jaguar all over the breakers yards). Would have left me with a rear prop way less than 12" - no good for flex - I doubt even Tom Woods could have done anything about it. I'd look into the manual version or getting an adaptor to make a box from something else fit.

I spoke to Tim Hardy in the early days of the build and he reconned the old 1600cc Vitara / Sidekick autobox & tranny would handle the V8s output plus you'd be keeping it Suzuki and lighter.

Using a Toy gearbox & T box the only place I have run into trouble with is the clutch mechanism. Almost sorted it - Hydraulic clutch. Had to move some heater hoses over but it's right hand drive so not sure if you'll have the same problems. The engine being so close to the bulk head you might have to relocate your heater matrix to to allow for the pedal box mods.

It's definately a cool lump to go for.

Joe

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Hi Joe,

thanks for your reply. Now i've got it made: I bought about half a ton of Rover / Buick V8 stuff. Someone started the project with a Samurai and stopped as the tax increased immensely for old engines.
Well here's the spec of the main engine (I got one and a half spare engines now):
3.5l V8 block. Defender 110 or Range Rover
Buick Crankshaft ('67 model I guess)
3 gear auto transmission (again out of the old Buick)
CJ7 carburator

The engine is ultra short; the Bucik water pump is already shortened another 2 inches. I plan to put the rad in the rear as my winch is located just in front of the stock rad. I want to avoid a body lift as the stock Samurai is tippsy enough. Therfore I have to cut the front area of the tunnel say about two to three inches each. Cannot use the Range Rover exhaust manifolds either but my welding skills are sufficent to build new ones.

The other engie is stock SD1 Modelyear 88 (I guess)

I let you know as sonn as I really have started. It's probably worthwhile to exchange some information from time to time.

Well, I am going to keep an eye on your articles at the Suzuki site.

cu norbert

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode