knuckle felts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

knuckle felts

i hate to clog the board with a new post...i searched but to no avail...anyhow, i posted a few weeks ago about a grease problem that some of you guys said was the knuckle felts...my questions are:
1)where do i get them?
2)how do i replace them(i have the Haynes manual but it doesn't cover them at all)
3)how much work is involved? (do i have to remove the whole hub, or does it install from the other side?

any help would be appreciated

how long can you go(mudding and river crossings included) before you do damage by not replacing when you notice grease leaking from around the "ball" socket on the front axle?

ROACH Da NastyPimp[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
http://http:briefcase.yahoo.com/roachtrax go to crazy pics, and check'em out...e-mail response, reaction, or questions to [email protected]!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 07:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: knuckle felts

The felts don't really need to be replaced. There is a rubber gasket o-ring that does though... The part number will prob show itself here in a while..

I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 08:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

roachtrax1:

Here's the danged deal (almost) --

1. You should be able to find them at auto parts stores. If not, try one of the Sammy parts sites (Suzuki John, Hawk and others).

2. From '88 Shop Manual: There is a two piece joint seat held down by 8 bolts. Remove the bolts, then cut the old seal and take it off. Cut the replacement seal at one place and put it where the old one was placing the cut on the top half 30 degrees off the match face of the oil seal retainer. Apply Suzuki super grease (Suzuki Super Grease H 99000-25120, any of you guys know what the substitute for this is?) to the inside of the oil seal. Apply sealing compound ("Cemedine" 366E 99000-31090 again, substitute stuff?) to the mating face of the two oil seal retainers and tighten down the 8 bolts to 6-8 ft/lbs.

3. you don't have to do much, maybe take the wheel off to give you more light and working room.

Hope this helps!

Ack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 09:00 PM

1) You can get the felts and rubber seal from a dealer or one of the vendors such as Hawk,petroworks,NCO,etc. Do a little net surfing to
check it out.
2&3) You can replace them from the back side of the knuckle by unbolting the retaining plates. However,to get the seal on you'll have to cut
it. I prefer to remove the hub and outer knuckle,after wihich the seal can be slipped over the inner knuckle in one piece.This also gives
you an opportunity to sevice the wheel and knuckle bearings.
I'd replace the felts along with the seal since they help support it.Put a bead of silicon between the retaining plates and the felts and
bolt them down over the seal.
4)My last broken record suggestion is to bite the bullet and buy a factory service manuel.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 07:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also reciently change my knuckle seals, AdvanceAuto ordered them ($10 ea) but were unable to get the felts. As someone else said I also removed the outter knuckle to install the seal in 1 piece. My felts were destroyed and I decided after asking several lists with NO resoponse to cut my own. I bought a 6"x6" x 1/8" thick, square piece of rubber from lowes (in the plumbing department) This seems to be working out well. Yes the rubber WILL deteriorate but at <$1.00 each I can easily replace them.

I have noticed a few things... Even when using original felts, the felt doesn't really touch the axle "ball" it seems to just cushin the seal from the metal retainers and keep crud from building up too much.

Ill take pictures when i return home on tuesday. -mike

BTW: I didn't use ANY RTV. I heavily GREASED it all during assembly with Hi-tac EP-II type grease, that too seems to be working well.

92' yazuki w/ custom radio knobs
01' 6'x12' trailer
01' F250 PSD/auto/Crew/LB
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks guys...i'm soooo broke right now between the new exhaust and tranny mount...but with all the mudding and water stuff i do...i gotta do this quick...

ROACH Da NastyPimp[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
http://http:briefcase.yahoo.com/roachtrax go to crazy pics, and check'em out...e-mail response, reaction, or questions to [email protected]!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode