Friend in a jam need a T15 borg-warner 3spd Trans. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Friend in a jam need a T15 borg-warner 3spd Trans.

I am looking for a T15 Borg-Warner 3spd transmition for a friend of mine who has a 79 CJ5. I know he drives a Heep, but he is a lifelong friend so I told him I would put this post up for him and see if I could find him one. The closer to Ohio you are the better. but shipping shouldn't be too bad from anywhere in Us, so whatever.

I'm putting this post up on the Jeep board at the same time I post it here. Help me prove to him that people who drive samurais are more resourceful and ready to help than the nasty jeep drivers. Help me find one of these transmitions!
Thanks for your help in advance,
F_T

"Rip it till it breaks, then build it back stronger"

88 hardtop, custom SPOA, 31's, ROCKCRAWLER T-Case w/ 'H' pattern 2WD LOW mod
Two nice dents from rolling(adds character)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 08:46 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Friend in a jam need a T15 borg-warner 3spd Trans.

"Nasty Jeep Drivers"?

Boy, that's instilling confidence and a sense of well-being. SInce there are some "Heep" owners over here as well, aren't you afraid your post will get seen by the "wrong" person?

Oops, too late...

Just kidding. Unless one of the Zuk owners is leading a double life and really aspires to be a "Heep" owner, I doubt you'll find one.

Get the numbers off the tranny, as it's probably a T-150 and not the T-15A. I can run them for you and let you know which one it is, so he can get the right replacement.

Keep in mind it's no Zuk tranny, it's a real one, cast iron and weighing in at about 120 pounds, without the bellhousing or transfer.

Since they were used behind V-8's with plenty of HP, how did he wreck it?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gee, those "nasty Jeep drivers" must hate the idea of somebody getting a tranny from us lowly Zuk drivers! But you can get a whole Sami for the price of a Jeep tranny, so maybe they resent the fact that we drive affordable trucklets. If our spare parts were that expensive, we'd probably be stingy with them too! btw, where I live, the Jeep drivers seem like pretty decent folks. They just drive these massive cast-iron 4X4's. But when the s**t hits the fan, at 9,000 feet in a white-out, chances are, that it'll be a Jeep driver who pulls your a$$ out of the ditch. Cut them some slack, huh?

Bob

95 'Kick 4 Door - Calmini header & exhaust = mo' power! YES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

I hope you didn't take serious offense to the comments I made about jeep people. Truthfully most everyone I ride with is a jeep owner, and they are all great guys.

The full story is on the short wheelbase board I think you have already found it.

>here is a copy of the post on SWB board I am looking for a >T15 Borg-Warner 3spd transmition for a friend of mine who >has a 79 CJ5. He killed his climbing a 9 wall in a ditch >that was 20 deep. We were out with a Toyota pick up that >had made it up everything we tried all day long accept for >this. Jim just had to show him jeeps were better. Well he >did, he made it up the wall, but on the way home the it >locked up on him and sent him sliding down the road about >40. I was behind him. Everyone is ok accept for the >transmition, he is dead. SO I need to find him another >one. If you can help please let me know,

88 hardtop, custom SPOA, 31's, ROCKCRAWLER T-Case w/ 'H' pattern 2WD LOW
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 12:31 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Nah, no problem with me, I know you well enough.

I have a few of them, and BTW, the going price for a T-150 is about $50, so let's not hear any talk about "expensive". Most every T-150 I know needs synchros though, but they're pretty easy to install.

Bob, "affordable trucklets"? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] For every one item that's cheaper on these, I can name 5 that are cheaper on a Jeep. So far I haven't found a whole lot on these that's "affordable" other than the purchase price, but I have found jeeps in the same range as well. I'm not coming down on you, I just don't see them as affordable. They're like anything else foreign, they're expensive.

Who started the idea that these were "affordable" anyway? I laugh every time I go to NAPA and look up a price on a part, then have to think of a way to retrofit a cheaper one. I like fabricating, and am glad others do as well, it's a necessity. Why the alternator for them was $216, with a core and that was the rebuilt price! I looked on Izook and did the GM swap, even took the alt off my jeep (I have several spare parts jeeps laying around). I went to have a spare set of axles redone with new bearings, and was surprised at the cost, $50 per side! My D44 axle bearings are $13 per side. Let's not even talk about carbs.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Zuk, but it's certainly not any cheaper than my jeep. Sure, the Jeep is heavier, more rusty, weighs more, and even brakes parts, but it's definitely on par with the Zuk as far as reliability and overall cost.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hah! Good point JeepN! The trick is to just buy a spare Samurai - If you get the parts from the dealer, you're gonna pay through the nose. My sidekick is definitely more expensive! I had to replace the electric mirror control switch - over a hundred bucks! But to put it in perspective, my Sidekick new cost about 17 grand, fully loaded (well, except for A/C). A comparable vehicle from Detroit would have cost about $10,000 more. On top of that, I'm pushing 120,000 miles on it now, with no major repairs. I don't think any of my Jeep driving friends could make it to 80,000 without something major going wrong. So, yeah, I have to use the word affordable! Plus, I get over 30 miles per gallon.

On the other side of the coin, it's gonna set me back about 4 grand, to get all my mods done (I'm thinking of setting Calmini up as a dependent on my tax return). Shoot, it's gonna be a grand for the rock-crawler gears, and that's if I can figure out how to install 'em myself! Let's see: Lift Kit, about $1000, 5.83 R&P's, $800? Bumpers & armor, almost another $1000, 5 wheels & tires over $1000, shoot, it's looking more like $5000!!! OK, this is NOT cheap! And I still can't get Steve Kramer at Calmini to answer my questions on why my hi-flow exhaust pipe is vibrating against my gas tank skid plate...

Bob

95 'Kick 4 Door - Calmini header & exhaust = mo' power! YES!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

You should put in your own Tacse gears. I had never seen the inside of any type of gearbox in my life and I changed mine in one evening. I also did my own SPOA lift for about $100.

If you have the means, and are willing to do things yourself even some of the things on the expensive side of the coin go away.

But, JEEPN is right too. Anything I have had to replace with a stock part has been outrageous! Thats why I'm getting rid of all the stock stuff a little at a time. When the engine goes it won't get another forign job put in it, will be an all american powerhouse!

88 hardtop, custom SPOA, 31's, ROCKCRAWLER T-Case w/ 'H' pattern 2WD LOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode