Rear passenger saftey - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Rear passenger saftey

I am interested in installing a roll bar in the rear area of mu Samurai, behind the rear seat. I want to do this to protect my rear passangers both from roll and from collision by anchoring rear shoulder belts to the rear bar. Has anyone looked into this? I know I could install a cage, but would like to save the money. I would really like to hear from anyone with any input on my idea.

True adventure is the journey, not the destination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 09:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Rear passenger saftey

{I know I could install a cage, but would like to save the money.}

In my opinion passenger safty and driver safty for that matter isn't the area to save money. GRS2,lockers and big tires aren't going to save you in a roll. Go for the cage. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

What type of cage do you have? I feel that a rear rollbar would offer enough protection. I am not convinced that the kit cage that comes in parts and slides and bolts together is any protection at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 11:00 PM
Can't Get Enough

I agree, if your child dies in that Samurai, would you spend $600 to even a $1000 to have him or her back? I have a 4 yr old son and in the pic you can see what I did for him. Rear Cage and a third sport seat(RCI) in it's own mount (6pts). I'll be making a new one with a Beard or Mastercraft type suspension seat.

Bill Forrest
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-572670-cage.jpg (58.2 KB, 1 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 11:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

No one is saying to buy that cage, I personally don't like it it has too many bends in it and it mounts to the wheel well in the rear....and is not bolted. Spidertrax/Davesport/Xtream4x/ and a few others have really good cages.

Bill Forrest
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-572674-cageside.jpg (60.4 KB, 1 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 06:07 AM
WSB

I built a full cage for my zuki earlier this summer. I have tow rear shoulder belts setup on it. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it this week.

Wayne

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

>I know I could install a cage, but would like to save the money. I would really like to hear from anyone with any input on my idea.

How are you gong to offer protection without a cage? A rear roll bar sticking up by itself is not good. It'll just fold over on any but the most perfect-situation roll. You'd need to tie it into some other bars.... which essentially means a cage.

I agree with what was said farther up.... A cage is the most important mod you can make. Lift, gears, tires are all cool and dandy, but if you get your head or other body parts crushed in while playing, then hopefully the guy that buys your crushed 'parts Zuk' from your grieving family will get it right on his.

http://www.rocky-road.com

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

I like the cage in the picture. Is it a custom cage or a prefab? I only want to make the one mod. to my Samurai. I have a stock Samurai and have found it just what the Doctor ordered for Florida trails.
I do not have my kids with me if I do anything risky. Their lives are worth more to me than to put them in harms way. I do like the cage and am interested in something like that. As I said, I do not like the cage kits that bolt together and offer no protection in the event of roll over. My idea for a rollbarr at the back would have to attach to the frame and would have support bars as well as being made out of a very thick steel pipe. I did not want to put a show bar on the back. Thanks for every one who had input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode