rear springs in front - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

rear springs in front

What is involved in moving rear springs to the front. I know they are longer can you just use longer shackles. also what are the benefits of such a move. thanks

88 suzuki, 2 inch shackles, 235 mud tires, custom F/R bumpers, Pony carb, lotsa dreams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 10:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: rear springs in front

GREYTEX,I did this with mine and what I gained was a longer spring[more flex] and its has a better spring rate for the rough stuff.You will move your axle forward about 1 1/2 inches,which keeps the tire further away from the fender well.I used Breeze D/L shackles on mine to give me more flex.You will need to build a pad for those to rest on.Other than that ,some of the guys just use a longer shackle to accomodate the longer spring.Hope this helps,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 10:17 AM
Old Hand

The benifits are great!

Longer spring = softer ride and more flex

There are several ways to get rear springs upfront.

-just mount them and use longer shackles (but shackle is at a very steap angle)
-just mount them and use "missing link" or "drop link" type shackles(your axle will move 1.5 inches forward if you don't re-drill axle pin)
-buy or make "relocating" brackets to move frame mount back 1.5 inches and use longer shackles (axle stays in stock location)

I'm sure there are other ways too.....

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/jbird88_5/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 10:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I got the kit that RRO sales. http://www.rocky-road.com/zuksus.html It is a rear up front kit and works very well! Very cheap and easy to install. Take a look at the pic's of my Zuk at my web-page http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/suspension
Very much worth it.

-Brian

ULTIMATE ZUK
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The worst way to do it would be to just add longer shackles. They'll push the shackle angle so far out that you will get alot of lateral movement in your front end... ie, very sloppy handling.

You'll also push the axle too far foward which could either bind up your steering system, and/or push your shocks into your bumpstop towers which will damage them. This can happen by using Missing Links as well. If you don't use something like our Rear Swap kit, you'll definetely at least want to relocate your axle backward of where it will end up with just using a shackle system.

http://www.rocky-road.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 11:04 AM

Will the aftermarket shackles, such as Breeze, or RRO work with oem bushings in the frame?

Jim

88 sami 4.5 spoa. 2 inch body lift. 33 12.50's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 10:57 PM

If your shocks go to the bottom of the axle tube as with our shock pins, moving the axle forward will actually appear to move the bump stop mount away from your shock tube as the angle of the shock changes, canted more to the rear, and the additional 2" of suspension lift opens the gap as well when the bottom of the shock moves down. I knicked off the corners anyway just to make sure, but they never came close. I run DT8000's with the built in bumpstop, so the factory frame mount is just there anyway, and I could just whack it off. I have been running rears up front for well over a year, and I didn't have to do anything except build a pad (real easy) for the Breeze Drop Link to rest on. I run the crossover steering, so there was not a problem of a Drop Drag Link (or Z-Link as some people call them) rubbing against the lower tie rod. I found that my axle only moved just a bit more than one inch forward. You will have to address the fact that your drive shaft spline engagement is now 1" or so less. If you don't, the thing will rapidly chew out the splines and let the drive shaft flop around which will snap off the stub on the back side of the front output shaft in the t-case. Our Breeze shackles are made to work with the OEM bushings, they provide more flex than poly anyway (and don't squeek!). (Yes they work just fine with poly as well, as they all have the same size bolt hole) By not moving the spring backward under the vehicle, you keep the axle in the correct position relative to the centered king pin holes in the spring perch which allows for a longer section of leaf out front, and some awesome flex. If you are going to use non folding shackles, then the relocator kit would help to prevent the crazy shackle angle.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jr. you still have not gotten rid of those shackles! I finally dropped mine to 5"es and drilled a hole through the center with a piece of tubin through the center just like RRO's Bonz shackles! they look and feel sturdy!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 11:49 PM

Does moving the rear springs to the front increase your lift in the front?

-Farther
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 07:14 AM

The way I set up the springs, I picked up about 2" in the front. I use the older style rear springs without the pads between the leafs. I then take a pair of older style front four leaf packs and use the very short bottom leaf in with the three leaf rear destined for the front, making it a four leaf pack. They ride great, and maintain their shape well. I also take the second leaf from the bottom which is a little bit longer than the very bottom leaf, and stick it in with the spring pack in the back making it a four leaf pack as well. Recently, I got tired of looking at my Sammi with this slight lean to the pasenger side (have never figured out why nearly every Sammi I see does this, can only be the slightly offset weight of the gas tank, T-Case, battery, etc., on that side) so I took another very short front bottom leaf and stuck it in the right rear pack making it a five leaf (sorta like the old hemi mopars had to do, but for a different reason!). Presto, the lean was gone, and I can't tell it is in there as the ride is still very good.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode