ditch digger tires on a Zuk - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

ditch digger tires on a Zuk

This mainly refers to mud, but I could see them being good on rock ledges to. How would these tires do on a Zuk? They come in various sizes but the one I'm looking at is a 31x15.5-15.

They're a little on the heavy side but not too bad for a wide tire. I realize there won't be much contact pressure but I think floating across the top layer in a light vehicle works better than trying to dig.

Here are the specs: Ditch Digger

They're definitely not street legal and they have a speed limit on them, but why exactly is that? Mine is gonna be off-road only but I don't want to tear them up flat towing it... do tractor tires crack when they go too fast or what?

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ditch digger tires on a Zuk

Well for one the compound is soft and they will wear very fast on pavement.
Also, at high speed the sidewalls will begin to bulge and bubble. Also, on
tires like these, you usually have to run a inner tube and the side walls are
very stiff to support the weight of heavy equipment and a zuk is not even
considered the light weight of equipment, more like a paper weight. I am not
saying that they won't work I just don't think you will get what you expect from
them.

Actually, I see that they are a tubeless design but I still don't know how well they will work. Your best bet would be to find a tire and rubber shop, not a discount tire but somewhere where they really sell truck tires and tractor tires and you might find a couple of these used. Try them out that away first. The only thing bad about that though is that when you have tires like these you usually run them into the ground before replacing them so finding them in a state to even hold air might be harder than it seems.

Wes.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 08:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hahahaha, one tire could support the FULL weight of the zook!

I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast

As far as using them for mud, the idea is to keep your wheel speed up so the tires will clean. At that RPM, those tires would fly apart. Just like street tire speed ratings. A 'Z' rated tire is good for up to like 200 mph, an 'S' rated tire would blow. Those tires are rated for up to 30mph, which means they would come apart before you could get up any speed. If you just slipped in the mud and kept your speed slow, they would just pack. I have seen people who try using Boggers, but dont have the power to turn them, and they end up stuck faster than when they had BFG MT's. Just my opinion...

Member of the Christian Off-Road Association.
If God didn't want us to play in the dirt and rocks, He wouldn't have made the Earth out of it!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I tried this on my sand rail with grooved implement tires. They wouldn't flex with the valve stems removed altogether, and got me stuck like no other. No flotation.

Brian

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 09:33 PM

how could a tire of that size and weight explode at a speed of 33 mph.. just think of the size of the vehicle they are intended for.. a big mean machine... now compare that to a samurai.... that tire is thick rubber.. it would have to have a sidewall the thickness of a peice of toilet paper in order for it to rip apart..

But it is true about the wheel speed problem...

Just think of how much mud you could send air born with that tire... ohhhh.... mannnn.. someone get me a towel...

-How many injuries or mishaps have happend after saying to you friends, "Hey, Watch this!!"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A Samurai at the ZukiMelt had a set of them. When I asked him about them he told me they were excellent mud tires, but they were too stiff so they rode rough and did not flex much on the rocks. I followed him through the back side of the pink trail and he was unable to climb up a few of the rock ledges without getting up some speed. Also, I am not sure if they are DOT approved. I'll stick with my Swampers!

1991 Zuk 33X15.50 TSL SX's, 1.6 16 Valve
M-Links, Hybrid rear w/disc brakes, 5.12's LOCKED
Zuk hybrid rears in front & CJ fronts in rear
Rides like a Japanese Cadillac!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 10:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hheheh, they are 10 ply too.. My 4 ply tsl sx's don't flex.... hahah yeah..

I'm LOCKED!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I'm not too worried about them being DOT approved as long as they won't explode on the highway (which they might... not sure how it works). I just liked them because they are short and wide and would give a zuk a good stance. I'm mainly interested in mud and general trail riding, so going over ledges isn't a big deal... i could swap them out if I decided to start crawling. About the flex issue, super swampers aren't rated for any less than these tires so what's the deal? I'm not really considering these tires, but I've always liked their looks and they look like they would sling mud to the MOON. BTW, Interco has redesigned their web page and has huge pics of their tires.. very cool. Besides the highway issue, I think these tires would do well in the mud, but they are pretty heavy for a 31 so I might need some more go juice under the hood. Is there a 3-stage NOS kit for the 1.3L? ;-)

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 12:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hahahahhha, nos, fogger, right..............
I can not spin my 29" very well in 4th low (2nd is too high, and 1st gear high is too high. If the mud is stickey, bye bye me... No power to spin them). 2wd is a whole different story! zooooooooommmm!!!!!

I'm LOCKED!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode