could this be the problem?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 07:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

could this be the problem??

I noticed when I took my shocks off today that there is no way that the shocks would have supported a 3 " lift shackle(In other words the shock was expanding all the way and still did not have enough!) So could that have been the reason why my springs looked as if they were saggin when
the shackles were on but fine when I took them off?? will I need to get shocks for the 2" shackle lift I plan to do!

P.S. I raised my stock bumper 2.5"es for my b'lift and is was not hard at all and looks way better than it did!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: could this be the problem??

i ran into that myself when i put my S/R on, so i got some ranchos rs5000s. ive been happy with them, even though some say they are too stiff. Might wanna try the Doesch techs (?} 3000s i think, and make sure to order them in advance b/c oreilys made me ride around with out shox for about 2 weeks! kinda fun though eheheh [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK, going to answer two of your posts at once. The sagging springs caused by short shocks and fangy shackles is possible in theory. Without seeing it and measuring the shocks and all it is hard to tell from my computer screen. With a 2" lift you might want to get new shocks. You can get some longer one's from Napa or anywhere else at a reasonable price that wont break the bank. Plus you could probably use new ones anyways if yours have some miles on them. To answer your other post of going with shackles or expander shackles i would go with plain standard 2" lift shackles. If you go with expanders you might need even longer shocks and possibly longer brake lines. I don't think you are looking to spend this much money right now so I wouldn't think you'd want to get into all those headaches. Plus, isn't your rig 2wd? Keep it simple for now and save for your 4wd conversion or engine swap.

This is a possibility also that I just thought of. I was at pep boys a couple of days ago getting new brakes for my toy axles and while I was looking around I saw some shock extenders. They will extend your shocks by about 1" or 2" from the looks of them. This might be the way to go for the time being until you get to the point of going spring over. This way you don't have to buy new shocks now and more down the road also.

Wes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just measured it today! not long enought at all! my rear shocks are literally MAXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx
Studly
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 08:34 PM

i didn't know that they made a 2wd sammi...

also... how do those shock extenders work? i'm curious to know. do they lengthen the piston or the mount? i've never heard of them before.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

most shock extenders that i've seen only extend the top part of the shock...they actually thred on to, and "lengthen" the threaded area....

ROACH Da NastyPimp
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 05:43 PM
Can't Get Enough

Elijah, they sold 2WD Samurais in the US from '91 to '95 (I think '91 was the first year). My '93 was a 2WD when I bought it last year, but I converted it to 4WD as soon as I could gather up the necessary parts.

[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 07:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yep mine is a 92! Zukiguy is bein nice enough to give me a front axle so that part is down!

Thanx
Studly
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 10:39 PM
Pooh-Bah

Yes his front and rear shocks are maxed and that is what made his springs look the way they did .. when I fist got my sami back in June of 90, I didnt know of many kits on the market besides trailmaster, plus I never had the money to fford it anyway.So basicly I did the same thing, I used those long ass Aluminum shackles put a 3" body lift on my truck and ran 33" BFG AT's. Those shackles will go beyond the usable shock length. I bet you had a fun hard time trying to pry the spring down to get into the bottom hole with the shock still connected, didnt you Billy

DougO

88.5 Sami with 35" Goodyear MT/R's
89 Sidekick "my lil rust bucket" with 3 - 235/75-15 Goodyear MT's anyone got a pair for sale?!
ICQ 52576971
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2001, 02:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually the extenders that I saw were for the other style, kind of looked like a horse bit.

Wes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode