Lose the Emissions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 10:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lose the Emissions

Hi, I have a 1986 Sami that I am in the process of rebuilding the engine. I was wondering if you know of any kits or tricks or whatever to get rid of all or most of the smog control stuff. I'm not real sure, but I think it is a Calif model. I would like to get it back to as close to the basic engine. I live in northern Idaho now and there is no emission control on this year vehicle. Anything you can give me will help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 11:38 AM

Re: Lose the Emissions

Actually, if you live in the USA there is emissions regulations covering most vehicles on the road. If memory serves me, some of the original smog equipment came out in the early '70s. Even my '77 Landcruiser had a smog pump and narrow gas filler on it. You, probably, just don't have inspections.

-Farther
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 12:01 PM

best way i now is get read of your stock carb. with a weber , or pony , or corala , then remove you egr valve but make a plat to go over it . you will be surpised on how much vacum hoses and wire you can remove. but if your not haveing any running problems i would not go to that truble leave it stock.

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 12:10 PM
Old Hand

I doubt that there's a kit or anything to help you pollute the earth. Kinda sounded like an activist? When I stripped my engine compartment down it was a long process. I figured the more basic, the less crap to go wrong. I started with the motor,tracking all the vac. lines, plugged up what I didn't need and re-routing everything I did. I took all unnecessary stuff off and left a VERY basic engine. Then came the hard part-the wiring-all those wires running here, there, and everywhere; what are they for? I didn't need them and they made the underhood an eyesore. I pulled all the tape & wireloom off and started cuttin'. I traced every wire to it's source and if it wasn't a must-have, I cut it. My samurai runs now without the ECM. Is it reliable? I drive it every day, I have to, it's my only ride. I ended up with the wires going to the starter, alt., battery, & dist. The engine compartment looks a whole lot better, and it easier to service. If anything goes wrong, there's not too much it could be. Brad.

'88 skuzi, 7"spoa, welded front&rear,31"tires,fresh 1.3L,cam,weber,tri-y......wanna wheel?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Guys, I appreciate your input. Guess I will just have to put up with it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 10:25 PM

My experience is either keep the smog in perfect order or wipe it all out. Anything in between is a headache and winds up hurting performance.

Oh no, a rant is comming.... I will post it elsewhere...

Calmini 5", 32" TSLs, daily driver, work in progress...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 11:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<I doubt that there's a kit or anything to help you pollute the earth. Kinda sounded like an activist? >

It certainly is something to be considerate of......

I'm running a Weber with no smog systems other than a cat and a pcv. Here in NY, vehicles have to go through a dynamic drive loop on a "chassis dyno". It is as strict as CA from what I'm told, except that they sometimes look the other way (even though it is video taped) when it comes to aftermarket replacement parts. Even needing a tune up, my Weber equipped 1.6 passed by a significant margin even without being properly warmed up. I haven't removed all the old wiring yet, but will soon. Just because a vehicle might be non OEM doesn't mean that it is a gross polluter. I figure that if it's running "clean", it doesn't matter what makes it run.....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 08:10 PM

Now Crow Horse you are thinking logically. Logic is not allowed when the smog station looks under your hood for any modifications. The law if very specific and does not allow non-OEM equipment to be used, even if it passed the test, unless is has a C.A.R.B. exemption. You have to pass the performance and visual test.

-Farther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode