shackle reversal! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 01:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

shackle reversal!

I am sorrta on the edge to get a shackle Reversal man! they seem to be pretty good and affordable! Anybody have good experiences or maybe bad ones! I know about the lil brake dive prob but other than that...anything else??

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: shackle reversal!

Talk to us, Petroworks, or Trail Tough and you'll hear an earful on why shackles up front are better.

We have one of our Zuks with a shackle reverse on, its our least favorite to drive. I'd welcome anyone in the Utah area to come give it a whirl to see how the S/R so negatively affects handling.

I've said it a million times, there's a reason that automotive manufacturers put the shackles up front on Suzuki, Jeep, and Toyota short wheelbase vehicles. if all it took for a smooth ride was shackles in back, they would have come from the factory this way.

http://www.rocky-road.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 07:27 PM
Cap34

I put the Calmini kit in mine and I have no complaints, but I have not really tried to thrash it very hard. I wanted something I could put on in the parking lot (which I did), and which could be raised further later. I'm keeping my eye out for 1 1/2" springs to put on top of it. On the other hand, I may put the S/R kit on my son's convertible and go SPOA on mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 07:45 PM
Pooh-Bah

only complaint I have of mine is the CSC front kit fear shackle design stinks .. with such an angle there is constant pressure on that shackle pushing it downward and back which flattens the springs too soon. I believe this is also the main reason why the brake dive is so bad with this kit, any little bit of pressure and the shackle flattens out. Also after only a few "serious" wheeling trips the rubber bushings are tearing apart on it and it takes a prybar to unlock it from its flattened position.

DougO

88.5 Sami with 35" Goodyear MT/R's
89 Sidekick "my lil rust bucket" with 3 - 235/75-15 Goodyear MT's anyone got a pair for sale?!
ICQ 52576971
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I made a reverse shackle based on the pictures in Calmini's catalog. I'll have pictures to post later. At first I thought I really screwed up. Major wobble at 45 mph! Scared me bad! But I realized the front axle tilt was off. All it took was a pair of shims and all was good. I live at the end of a rough gravel road and before the reversal I felt every bump (in the steering especially) but now it's all smooth. I have about a 2" lift via shackle in back and I had to redo the front ones a couple times to get the correct stance. I didn't reinstall the sway bar yet and I'm not sure if I ever will.

87,homemade r/s & 2"shackles,lawn edging fender flares, body off chassis waiting on info for v-6 swap

Stupidity should be painful
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 08:01 PM

i ran cal r/v for a year and 1/2 worked great it handled better and trail through the ruts nicly i took it off when i went spoa with rears up front. i put the s/r in a box for my next 88 zuk thats almost mine
quent

88 zuki,5.5 breeze spoa,header,1600,locked in the rear and weber carb. with mitsu seats and 2"inch pipe
87 zuk spoa (new project)
IF GOD IS YOUR CO-PILOT SWAP SEATS
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 08:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So what would I be better off doin?? a s/r or basic 2 inch shackles?? IF there were expanders with 2" stock to 4 inch expanded then I would go with that but there is no one that sells something like that right??

P.S. today I dropped my shackles all the way down and it turns out the shackles are just fine! I think the shackles were actually just bendin them down...Is that usual for shackle lifts??

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It seams like everyone removes thier S/R when they go SPOA is there a reason why? I know with the wrangler spring swap a lot people do a S/R and SPOA, is there a diffence I'm missing?

Jeff Thompson
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 09:13 PM

Studly........You can ask 100 people about shackle reversals and you'll probably get 100 different answers. I know for a fact that Series I Land Rovers came with the front shackles reversed (80" wheelbase)as well as early CJ's and pre IFS Toyota pickups. As far as safety goes.........Have you ever checked out the suspension on an 18 wheeler??????? How about your local UPS truck???? They both have the front shackles reversed. Somebody better warn the manufacturer about these dangerous suspension setups.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 09:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<I've said it a million times, there's a reason that automotive manufacturers put the shackles up front on Suzuki, Jeep, and Toyota short wheelbase vehicles. if all it took for a smooth ride was shackles in back, they would have come from the factory this way.>

I can't help it, but, if we were intended to fly, The Creator would have us born with wings.....or P/S, SPOA, etc. etc......

Seriously, any suspension system will have its good points and bad. One just has to see which one suits their needs best.....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode