Ford 2.9/tranny swap update - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ford 2.9/tranny swap update

After purchasing and test driving the 88 Bronco II, I'm convinced the 2.9 is solid, the tranny is good, and all is a go. However, I have worked out some details both on paper and in my mind and the project has changed slightly in its scope.

I'm keeping the Zuki t-case, axles, body, and setting the rest aside for my rail buggy project later. These items will then be worked onto the Ford, replacing their respective counterparts on the Bronco.

So basically... rather than stuff the 2.9 and tranny on the Samurai frame, I'm reworking my Samurai body around the Ford with a little nip and tuck, cut and stretch here and there. End result?

A LWB Samurai with a 2.9 fuel injected V6 with AC, ABS, cruise control, front/rear solid axles with front coil springs, and a dual t-case setup sporting an ultra low gear ratio of 10.32/1 with an over all 4wd low gear ratio of 40.86/1 in 1st gear if I have done my math correctly. The hybrid interior will make the comforts of a Jeep Wrangler look spartan by way of comparison. All resting on a stronger frame that is about to get a serious once over by me before anything gets welded, bolted, cut, sawed, or otherwise mutilated in any way. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And I will still be able to maintain my daily driving because of the dual t-case setup. Pop them both in 2wd hi and I'm off to work at 75 mph at just over 3500 rpms.

The downside? You'll see the finished product sometime around January 2002.

Pics to come throughout the process, promise! Any Flordians wanna help? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Neal the Zukiguy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 11:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Ford 2.9/tranny swap update

I'm up for it, what's your 20?

I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 01:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

do it to it neal. i've often considered swappin a 4x4 motor tranny t-case infront of the zook case. let us know how it works, maybe i'll do my buggy.

87 sammy (RAIL BUGGY) PROJECT 50 % complete. isuzu/chevy luv motor, auto tranny, 2 t-cases nissan/zook 7.5:1,tube chassis,4link vw rabbit coils rear,36"tsl's, 1/2 ton GM axles welded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 06:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The most difficult part of this project seems to be the location of the t-case shifter in relation to the drivers seat. The 5 spd manual tranny I have is a long MF and the stock t-case is about 22" long. If I bolt the Zuki t-case directly to the Bronco t-case, which I am suspicious about doing... the shifter will still be some distance behind the drivers seat. If I don't bolt it directly, putting some sort of jointed short shaft between them, then my already shortened as hell rear drive shaft gets even shorter.

I'm still in the measurement stages right now. I've pretty much figured out what and where to cut and weld to remove this funky IFS a-arm type setup the Bronco has and where to mount the springs and run all my steering linkage for the stock Zuki axles. (the Bronco II runs the front coils and the rear leaf springs mounted on the side of the frame rail. I plan on moving them where they belong, UNDER the frame rail) I just need to work out this dual t-case config so that I have a rear drive shaft left that is long enough to allow articulation without slipping a yoke after 3 inches of droop.

Anyone know how strong a Ford 7.5" rear end is? That is the stock axle on the Bronco rear. If it is stronger than my stock Zuki, I'll just keep it, save me about $300 on wheel spacers and backspaced rims! I'll have to remount the lower shock mounts since they are the typical "Ford droop down 4 inches below the axle housing type".

I thought this project would get more lengthy and involved as I got farther into it, but it is actually turning out to be easier and easier as I progress, at least in the planning and design stages. The Bronco II seems to be a nice platform to build upon with the Samurai in mind. I really think this will be a nice rig and a quality highway driver as well. The Bronco II is a strange road handler because it is front heavy but the enclosed bed sits up high in the rear, causing the whole vehicle to slop around and fish tail. But the Samurai body seems much more at home on the Bronco frame. I'm getting more excited each time I finish an evening of work on it. I should have some pics of the Bronco posted soon. I'll try to work on them side by side so you can see them blend into one vehicle before your eyes. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Neal the Zukiguy

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 07:28 PM
Mud in my Veins

I would think it's quite a bit stronger than the zuki axle because there are guys that run 4.0 v6 with 38's on those things and they hold up. It might be overkill in a Zuk though, but I guess not any more than a Toy axle. How big is the ring gear and axle shafts on the Zuk axle, if anybody knows?

<font color=red><h3>GO HOGS GO</h3></font color=red>

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 10:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm in Brandon, suburb of Tampa Nowhere. Oncve I start REALLY tearing things up, I'll give you, Cueball, and JMoe a ring? We'll have Samurai and Bronco II pieces scattered all over the yard. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey Muddy... you say people are sporting 4.0's in their Bronco II's on the Ford 7.5 rear end?

Neal the Zukiguy

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 02:11 PM
Mud in my Veins

Don't know about the BII's but definitely with the Rangers, which also use that rear end. Actually, I have seen one guy with a jacked up BII on 35" swampers... looked pretty sweet but I don't know how hard he romped on it. In a light vehicle you could probably get it to hold up to v8 power if you didn't get insane with the gas pedal. Here is a page from Visteon, that makes all of ford's rear axles and some front ones, and has all the max torque specs for them...

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2001, 05:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kinda OT but my mom lives in Brandon...well actually Valrico, but close enough I used to live actually in Brandon...my real staement is where in teh heck to you 4WD down there?

Drive fast and take chances.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey I am good for that, when I built my green one, I had two Samis torn apart in the drive (mine and the vacant neighbors) all to build put them back together. Did I mention this was in base housing (strickt rules about not working on cars in the drive way. I guess the nieghbors thought I was too stupid to call the cops. Anyway.....

Hey how come ever since my Zuki has been down, I get calls every weekend to go and rescue someone that is stuck? Is it just me or what, they dont call when I am sitting here want something too do, only when I really cant. Luckly I have borrowed Zuki and she makes a good rescue rig too.

Just thought I would ramble on a little, wife is at work and I feel asleep on the couch so now I am not sleepy anymore. Ok, Ok I will shut up now.

jmoe [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
86 HD, SPOA, 2in S/R, P/S, misc.......
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 12:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

JMOE!!!!!!!! Long time no see!! I'm scrambalin to get ready for the zuwharie trip this weekend! I sure hope I can make it. Where abouts is brandon in relation to orlando..
Richloam, claysink, ummmm, there is a large place on 520 and 50... Those are the only close by wheeling places near orlando..

I'm LOCKED!
Got zook?I do,88.5 spoa'd on 29'shttp://www.geocities.com/bik3r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode