road handling sucks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 05:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

road handling sucks

ok here goes.I done a shackle lift(3in front 2in back).Slapped on a set of 15x8 bullet hole rims with a set of 235 75 15 Bridgestone Duelers M/T.Got it lined up.Now it is pulling to the left and all over the road.Im running 30psi in front&rear. Any info on this situation will be appeciated.

United We Shall Stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 06:16 PM

Re: road handling sucks

Hiya Fireman! Welcome to our board! Hey, if you do a search thru the previous posts, you'll find a ton o' info on this problem. It's fairly common and gets posted a lot. If you need any help with the search, lemme know and I'll give you a hand!

(Please forgive me, but the following text I copy-n-pasted from another newbie response I just put up a little while ago. But it perfectly applies to this situation [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])
The reason I'm doin' this to ya is 'cause yesterday we had a big thread goin' about the constant amount of repititious posts from the newbies. People were gettin' so frustrated seein' the same old post over and over again that they were startin' to shy away from the board. Well, I proposed that we educate people on searchin' the board well before postin', and that's what I'm tryin to do now. Please don't take offense to this, as this is my effort to keep our board thronged with both the newbie's and the old hands, and keep the fresh ideas hittin' the board!

It's perfectly natural to be so eager to ask your qwestion, that you overlook the search option, god knows I'm guilty of it myself. But the search (especially for these topics) will yield you far more results than just a post would. Good luck, and if you need help gimme a yell!

Pillard

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 01:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, How's the FAC search going? By now I'm sure you understand that the 3in shackles on the front changes the casters angles and making for the bad handling. I'm not sure if it is mentioned in the history stuff you were reading, but air pressure in the tires has a lot to do with handling too. 30 psi is what the Suzuki Corp. of America recommends and that is a load of EPA bogus. Those of us who have 85 samurais (1st year in the US) have a sticker on the dash that reads 20psi front and rear, and 26 psi in rear if loaded down. I recommend that you lower the psi of you tires (after all we are a 2060lbs vehicle, not a 4500lbs american land yacht). It will make the ride softer and should improve handling. Also there are some aftermarket things to help improve the steering. Hope this helps. Holler if you need more help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 10:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shackles only move one end of the spring. This causes the axle to rotate, which in turn changes your castor. What you need are castor shims to tighten back up the handling onthe vehicle. You may be able to find them locally, or we carry them as well. Main thing is to make sure they are steel, NOT aluminum.
http://www.rocky-road.com/zuksteer.html

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 06:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you for the info.you are right.I lower my tire presure and pretty soon i am going to take out the 3in shackle lift and put my springs on top of my axles.Thanks again for the info.
Fireman

United We Shall Stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode