lift question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

lift question

This is my first zook, I wanna take my time and build it right. It's an 87Samurai JX, soft top. I just bought it the odmeter says 68,000, I am thinkin probably a 168,000 is more realsitic. I have not got to drive it much as I am still waitin for the title The throttle response seems to be good. It has no exaust or plates for the moment, hence I have not drove it much. I have drove it around the block, let it idle for about half an hour, no oil leaking from what I can tell. So anyway if you look under the veh. You can see oil near the either rear main or oil pan that has been built up and the wind has blown it back to the differential. It is old oil not since I have had it. So my plans are this this week I am gettin an exaust I was thinkin a straight 2" or 2 1/4 with a glass packs muffler. Then I am putting on my 2" shackles. I have removed the front bumper, put a 6" piece of angle iron across the frame ends. I have hammered down the seams inside the front wheel wells, cut the rear bumper side attachment deals off and cut the rear wheel wells some. I am wondering if I could run 30 x 9.5 tires with the mods I have made and installing the shackles, or would it be better to run the 235 75 15's. If anyone knows would there be much of a power difference off road. I don't intend to go with a bigger than a 30" tall tire ever unless I can afford to regear. I will be doing a spoa as soon as I figure out that the motor and everything is going to last awhile.

So I guess my questions are these:
1. With the little bit of driving and idling it has been doing would I be able to see if it were leaking out oil(also the engine capartment looks fairly clean, it may have been rebuilt some time ago)?

2. With the mods I have made(including the 2" lift shackles) what tire (taking into consideration clearence, veh. power, and stability) would be best; the 235 or the 30 x 9.5

3. Ideas on exaust tube diameter?(I am thinking 2" is about as wide as you should go)

87 Samurai. S-10 Buckets. Cherry Bomb exaust.
If you ain't wheelin get outa here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 04:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: lift question

For the leaks you will need to run it some, Check the
rear of the engine by the dist, and the front main.

with 2" lift shackles you should be able to fit 30x9.50's (They usally measure a little under it.)

2" is the most commen size to go up too. If you go much larger than that you can actally make the engine run worse.

You should adjust the valves, Almost every zook I first touched needed this adjustment.

Once you get an exhuast on it it will run better too BTW..
Good luck with it.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 05:12 PM

Hi, i am running a 2" shackle lift and 31x10.5" tires with a little fender trimming to get rid of that annoying lip in the front wheel well that cut the [censored] out of the tires on my last zuki........ so i have no trouble running 31"s so you won't have any trouble running 30"s.......i have a 2" exhost too.......

" if you don't get stuck, your not trying hard enough"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 05:40 PM

Hey Sam! Welcome to our board! You found a good one that'll offer you tons o' info on our beloved zooki's. The questions you have asked are really common for newbies to ask, and rather than answering them for you, I'm gonna encourage you to search the old posts before proceeding. I guaruntee you will find all the info you could ever need on oil leaks, exhaust options, and, most especially, tire size. If you need any help on search tips, don't hesitate to ask me, I will be happy to help.

The reason I'm doin' this to ya is 'cause yesterday we had a big thread goin' about the constant amount of repititious posts from the newbies. People were gettin' so frustrated seein' the same old post over and over again that they were startin' to shy away from the board. Well, I proposed that we educate people on searchin' the board well before postin', and that's what I'm tryin to do now. Please don't take offense to this, as this is my effort to keep our board thronged with both the newbie's and the old hands, and keep the fresh ideas hittin' the board!

It's perfectly natural to be so eager to ask your qwestion, that you overlook the search option, god knows I'm guilty of it myself. But the search (especially for these topics) will yield you far more results than just a post would. Good luck, and if you need help gimme a yell! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pillard

[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 10:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

2" shackles generally are good emough to clear 235's. Though you may have to expect some monir rubbing if you get really flexed up offroad.

Another thing to consider would be castor shims with those shackles. Shackle change your castor which results in sloppy handling at highway speeds. A set of castor shims puts things back into stock spec and makes for nice handling.

We carry 2" shackles and shims specifically designed to correct for them. Feel free to email us if you have any questions.
http://www.rocky-road.com/zuksus.html

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode