VIRUS FROM BOARD WHATCH OUT. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

VIRUS FROM BOARD WHATCH OUT.

I AM GETTING A REPEATED E-MAIL FROM [email protected] which contains a virus with no cure called servicerequestform.doc.lnk or w32/[email protected] it comes several times a day with different headers but always the same message which is "hi, how are you ? i sent you this file for you're advise. see ya later" do not open it. the reason i post here is not to accuse but i have a separate e-mail add i use primarily and only use this one for zook conversation, so it came from someone here or on viking4x4. it attaches your mail list and sends its self until downloaded. so needless to say, if yall get an e-mail from me [email protected] with the same text, don't download.

87 sammy (RAIL BUGGY) PROJECT 50 % complete. isuzu/chevy luv motor, auto tranny, 2 t-cases nissan/zook 7.5:1,tube chassis,4link vw rabbit coils rear,36"tsl's, 1/2 ton GM axles welded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 02:19 PM

Re: VIRUS FROM BOARD WHATCH OUT.

The sircam virus has been around for several weeks now... About a month ago, I received the message "How are you??, I would like your input on these. Please advise...etc,etc"... with an attachment. Since I ALWAYS, ALWAYS scan any attachments with Norton Anti-Virus, I detected the virus and DELETED the bugger. To be perfectly honest, the virus could have come from anywhere since there was a news article about it last month on the Netscape home page. At that time, the news was that this particular virus was infecting thousands and thousands of cumputers around the world. Technically, "sircam" is a "worm virus" due to the fact that it attaches itself to your e-mail lists and is spread that way.
Note: ALWAYS SCAN YOUR ATTACHMENTS!!! unless it's something you're expecting...
Take care

LeeClark
1988 Suzuki Samurai
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 02:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

thanks for the heads up bro!!!!
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 05:09 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I am getting the exact same thing from the same guy. I'm cautious and E-mailed back, but it kicks my e-mails back to me every time. I know better than to open it, and have posted a thread on the Jeep board. I'm sending it to "Hooch" the next time it comes in to see what he can do with it (We need to find this guy and let him know he has a virus).

My McAfee didn't detect it, which sucks. Can anyone recommend a GREAT anti-virus program out there? I did an online virus scan, and came up clean, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe.

I'll bet it's from someone here as I have never been to, nor heard of, Viking4x4. I'm sure they don't know they have it though.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 05:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeepn, I run Norton but you have to keep it updated. Hotmail autmatically scans attachments using Macafee which they probably keep updated. There is a sit called homezone or housesomething that allows you to scan for virusus online. I think Daxe knows the site and will probably jump in. Best thing isif in doubt delete it. I keep telling people if I attach something I will tell them in the body of the email that I am sending an attachment.Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 06:09 PM

Hey bill (and anyone else who's interested), just because you use your email address in a particular area doesn't mean that's where it came from. All anyone has to do is sign on to AOL's (or anyone else's) chat service and scan all the usernames they can find. It's just a matter of adding "@aol.com" on it to get your email address. Hackers write apps that do this crap all the time and file the address into database's they use to send out their virus's to. This is the same way spam mailers send out their e-commercials. It's pretty much impossible to keep an email address private.

I have an up-to-date virus scanner that I never trust, and I pretty much delete stuff with a subject line that makes no sense to me. Color me paranoid [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img].

Hope this helps

Pillard

[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 06:17 PM

The virus did not come from the BBS. Lots of times the virus sends itself, and the sender has no knowledge of it happening. Sometimes ISP's will block an email box if it starts sending, or receiving lots of traffic erroneously. Thats prolly why your return email bounced. Never open a file attached to an email. Ever. If the sender does not specifically tell you that they are sending you an attachment, delete it. I see lots of broken operating systems because people aren't using common sense.

[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I keep getting one from a Chris Arnett. So be on the lookout for that name as well.
ROB

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ive been gettin the advice emails for about 2-3 weeks. needless to say i deleted it with out even lookin into it. thats what i always do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode