new zuk comming - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

new zuk comming

I am going to be buying an 87 sammy hardtop that is bone stock. i got a few buck to put into it after i purchase it and i was wondering what is one of the first mods i should be looking at???

also will this beast be able to pull 70-75mph down the highway or am i looking at max of 65?

I am new to the samurai so please bare with me here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 10:02 AM

Re: new zuk comming

Your first modification depends on where you want to go with it. Are you planning on doing a spoa? Off roading, primary daily driver? Do you want more horsepower, traction, high end speed, low end torque? These all take you different places on a build up. If it is a stock rig and you have a good running engine, 80mph is no problem with good compression. Give us some details and we will try to help. Max

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

well..primarily it will be a daily driver...but eventually id like to do a SPOA conv. to run 31's but i wouldnt go any bigger. i run about 70 miles a week and its 90% highway miles. i love going off road (already got a 66 bronco but not a good daily driver) and i figured the sammy is the best thing for both worlds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

my ICQ# is 18103928 and my aolIM nickname is Freebird01JM

so please feel free to message me anyone

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 10:17 AM

Have not gotten into icq, but i can answer you here no problem. Quick question though, what does icq offer to this board that this thread doesnt. I dont know it that well so i dont know the advantage. Dont mean to offend with my iggnorance, just thought that whatever transpires in this thread is best left for the view of others and they might benifit from it.

You can run 31's on your stock rig if you just do a shackle lift and pound out the ridges inside the wheelwells on the firewall. It wont flex off road, but it looks good and a stocker will run them no problem, you wont see fifth gear without transfer or ring and pinion reductions. If you plan on going spoa, make sure you secure a rollcage in there if you plan on doing any wheeling. Safety first, crazyness next. If your driving 70 miles a week then thats not a bad commute at all, fastest way to achieve more power is to let it breath in and out better. KN air filter if you plan on never doing any deep water crossings, Header is the fastest biggest gain in horsepower, a pony carb would be next. Trust me on this one, a pony carb is way more bang for you buck then a weber. I have had all three (stock one, weber and pony) the pony is best for reliability, tune ability, and affordability. A very usefull site is IZOOK.com check them out and the technical section of there page. Keep the questions coming if you have them.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

cool man i will check out that bored tonight after work. i only put icq and IM up there just for chat...ill keep posting on the board dont worry

so your saying though that my best bet would be a pony carb and a filter kit for a first mod? i was looking at RRO's power kit with the filter header and isky cam??? i dont do much deep water mainly game land stuff. does any company make a cage for a non removable hard top sammy?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 10:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

me and ppillard have discussed this quite a bit. first a cage if you're goin off-road at all. but too build a cheap capable street/trail zook. i would suggest cage first,then t-case gears, and small aggresive mud tires. even with no lift, you will go 90% of the places everyone else does and be alot more stable and still use 5th gear.

87 sammy (RAIL BUGGY) PROJECT 50 % complete. isuzu/chevy luv motor, auto tranny, 2 t-cases nissan/zook 7.5:1,tube chassis,4link vw rabbit coils rear,36"tsl's, 1/2 ton GM axles welded.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

so whats the biggest size tire i can fit on this thing with stock rims and stock suspension?????

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 11:01 AM

Shackle lift it one inch. Check out 'North coast off road' for deals on shackle. They used to have shackles on sale that would give you a net of one inch lift which would enable you to fit 31's under there. But understand that you change everything when you go to a bigger tire, you need better then stock backspacing the rims, you need to understand the rig wont articulate well because of the limited room (no flex) and it saps power big time. If i was to do a power upgrade in order of importance, it would be like this. Header first, high flow cat and muffler with at least a 2.5" exhaust. maybe a tad smaller on the exhaust if i had to. Thats your most horsepower gain, then its pony carb which will let you go like (and i love this new phrase i learned here ) "a raped ape" No one i have said that too that i know in person understands what im talking about, but its so funny to say. The torque cam wont come into affect until you gear down properly. Gearing is important, but the best thing you can to is get a cage inside or out. I have a hard top too, and it has an external cage, if you look at the zookin2k1 pics youll see mine, its a yellow external roll cage on a blue ugly beast. Dont want to overload you with information so ill leave it at that.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 11:10 AM
Skip

With stock rims and suspension P205 or maybe 215's are about as big as you can go. I ran 205's (28 - 29" tall) and still had 70 - 75 mph freeway speed. With 31's and stock you'll be hard pressed to do that. First thing I'd do is rocker protection. Then a rear locker and as you get more aggresive full cage and spoa. I thought I was going to be careful and go easy at first. I was on level ground going between 2 trees when I slipped on the roots and got both rockers at once. Oh well, like the bumper sticker says "Chicks dig body dammage"

Skip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode