Almost ready for 4.3 swap... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 02:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Almost ready for 4.3 swap...

Well I'm almost ready to perform the swap. I'm planning to run a vortec engine out of a rolled 2000 S-10 4x4 (though only Sammy's were tippy ) Anyway I'm pulling off the S-10 automatic/transfer case (which is for sale by the way), and am planning to run a T-350. Now for a couple of questions: First of all, how well does the stock T/C hold up.(not planning on neutral dropping the tranny at 8000RPMS) I plan to take it easy, of course I'm going to get on it every once in a while. Second I've heard the T/C has to be moved rearward an 1" or so. I was planning on haveing a custom radiator built to fit behind the grill, and shove the engine as far forward as possible. Would you still need the T/C moved ?? I'm pulling the body off the frame to make it all easier. That way I can take all my mearsurement, and make all the neccessary clearances before reinstalling it back on with a 3" body lift. Third, what about front suspension ?? I have some 3" Calmini springs (which I put up for sale here) Would those work, or should I run something else ?? Well hopefully all you 4.3 guys can give me some pointers....Thanks alot!!!! John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 02:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Almost ready for 4.3 swap...

your axles won't take the 4.3L if you wheel it. if it is a street rig maybe.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 10:43 AM

Hey REin4ST I still want/need those springs, if you arent going to use them that is. My suzuki was stolen about a month ago. Police found it on the rail road tracks ripped off all brake lines and shocks on passenger side. Also bent the springs severly. thanks Scott

88 suzuki, 2 inch shackles, 235 mud tires, custom F/R bumpers, Pony carb, lotsa dreams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 10:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the 4.3 weighs about 475 lbs. I do not think the leaf springs designed for the barely 200 lb 1.3 will carry it. You should seriously look into some coils, or in the least, a set of YJ springs up front. That's gonna be some wobbly mishandling out of sorts Sammy, but good luck to ya! We want pics!

Neal the Zukiguy

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 11:58 PM
Addict

If you are going to want a jackshaft between the zuki tcase and the chevy trany with 2 ujoints, you will need to move the tcase back alot farther than 1". My brother has this setup and it works ok on the road, but it sucks off-road. Probably better use a mated tcase.

I run a short shaft c4 on my v6 zuki, and only had to move it back an inch, I am not sure if there is a chevy trany short enough to do that.

1990 samurai spoa
2.8 V6 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 05:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have a 1985 4.3 in my 1988 zook,350 auto,4:16 t-case,5:38 gears.I drive carefully and I have not broken anything yet.I rarely see 2500RPM.You dont need speed,with our torque you just idle over stuff.I have a junkyard ford radiator,with an electric fan ,all in the stock location.I have a 3" body lift and there was still HUMP work to do to get the trans in.Use A cable shifter.The trans dip stick comes up in the passenger side hump toward the front.The t-case sits almost in the stock location.Exhaust is tight,some raise the motor, some lower it to clear the exhaust manifolds and frame rails,depends on what manifolds you use.Install poly bushings and good t-case arms or you will tear something up,broke the side out of my new t-case when the rubber mount let go.I put my rear springs up front added a leaf and rearched 2" and it works great.Be sure to get your bump stops close to stock again.I run jeep front springs in the rear.If you need any more help call 812 988 4107.I work 4am to 7pm,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 02:05 AM
Addict

ranger rick, do you have any pictures of how you mounted your tcase. my brother has a simiar setup, but his tcase is moved way back. just wondering how you did it.

1990 samurai spoa
2.8 V6 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 02:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yeah Rick, I'd like to know how you left the t-case in the stock location? I'm about ready to do this swap when I get back to the states and I'm using the stock t-case with the toyota axles. Do you know what yr, model and type Ford Rad. you have? And also do you have the part numbers for the elec. fan? Post here or just e-mail me with the info. E-mail address is in profile, Later.

-Brian

ULTIMATE ZUK
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 08:52 PM
Addict

I am running a ford radiator out of a late 60's bronco with a v8. it is narrow enough to fit between the frame(and the steering box). It is a little tall, but if you had a body lift it would fit fine(i cut a little out of my hood since i have no body lift).

1990 samurai spoa
2.8 V6 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 11:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I dont have any pictures or a way to scan.I could pull the skid plates and take some and snail mail them,but with overtime it could be a while.I am doing 4am to 8 pm.RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode