Side Drafts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Side Drafts?

Who on the list is running dual side draft carbs? I am interested in they think it was money well spent and what kinda of performance they received as well as gas mileage increase? decrease? same?
Did you go to a header at same time? Are you running the 1300 or upgrade to the 1600?

I am thinking about going to the 1.6 with header and then using some side drafts. Maybe a mild cam and a crane ignition system. Any advice on these mods and what about actual power gained from doing these all together?

thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 12:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Side Drafts?

>Who on the list is running dual side draft carbs?

I ran them for many years.

>I am interested in they think it was money well spent and what kinda of performance they received as well as gas mileage increase? decrease? same?

Gas mileage increase??? HA!
Expect more power, but at the cost of mileage. The power gain on carbs is NEVER what is promised in their ads, but the dual sidedrafts are actually a carburator that works offroad. Sidehills, bouncy roads, and steep hills don't kill them like they do the Weber downdrafts. The carb is a PITA to set up properly. I fiddled with it for years before taking to a shop that specialized in building circle track cars. They put it on their computer and it ran like fuel injection from there on out. Do NOT get the Mikunis. I ran them, but they are out of production now. Parts are hard to get. Get the Weber DCOE dual sidedraft carbs instead.

>Did you go to a header at same time?

I initially bought a Hedman, it was crap, leaked, and fell apart. I then ran the Thorley and loved it. It was a good compliment to the increase on the intake side.

>Are you running the 1300 or upgrade to the 1600?

I ran it with the stock 1.3, with a 1.6, and with a 1.6 block with 1.3 head. Hard to compare the performance though since I didn't have the carb working to its best capability until I took it to that shop. At that point, I had a 1.6 block, 1.3 head with 1.6 valves and a port/polish.

>I am thinking about going to the 1.6 with header and then using some side drafts. Maybe a mild cam and a crane ignition system.

Cam is good. Save the money on the ignition system though. I've used both Jacobs and the MSD 6A Offroad. Neither gave any noticeable power gain. The best all around performance II've ever had from coils has been with the factory one. The other stuff is just snake oil. Put the money towards a mod that actually works.

>Any advice on these mods and what about actual power gained from doing these all together?

If you get a dual carb, don't waste time trying to set it up yourself or taking it to mechanics that SAY they know dual sidedraft carbs. Take it to a race shop that has computerized equipment designed specifically for dual sidedraft carbs. It'll be the best hundred bucks you ever spent on your engine!

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

I know about setting dual carbs up on both datsun roadster and on VW motors using stock duals or aftermarket. I already know a good tuner shop that can install and adjust the carbs for me. That way I can get before dyno and after dyno readings and see any added performance. I already know the gas mileage is going to suck if I keep a lead foot which I have anyway. I dont expect much in after market ignition systems. But as for coils I believe in replacing an old coil because they tend to start on a down curve for reliability and performance the older then get. On my land cruisers I went with the MSD Blaster2 coils. Why? Because it was less of an expense then going with the stock factory replacement coils and the performance was very very noticable. ).... Nothing like replacing a coils that is about 25 years old with a nice fresh one that also is rated at a higher voltage. My last cruiser was an FJ55 with the original motor and tranny. Running 33x12.5's I often got into little stop light drags with cherokee's and they couldnt keep up with the old Pig. I even had a guy with a swb jeep and chevy motor race me one time. Yeah he beat me with his chevy motor but not by much. He almost didnt get in front of my rig. One of those times where he is in the right turn only lane but wants in my lane to go forward. If I had know he was going to do that he might not have goten the jump. Anway that 6 was mildly built and you can get at least the same amount of horse power and torque as cubic inches of motor. I was brought up in the drag race scene. We went to the track all the time to race my dads cars and the shop he worked for was into fuelers. Nothin like having your lungs burnt out with fuel in the air. Anyway I am still feeling the Suzuki out. I know toyota and other motors but nothing about a suzuki motor and how it handles being beatin like a dog and then how long it might live. I beat the heck out of my last cruiser motor. Road it very hard and it made it to well over 350,000 miles on the original factory bearings before I swapped it out for a later model 2F.
Thanks for the input and look forward to any other advive you can offer. I am still thinking of other motor options like the 1.6 TD volkwagen or even a 1.9TD. Maybe the toyota 4 banger...? When I decide it will be all out project no turning back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 11:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>Thanks for the input and look forward to any other advive you can offer. I am still thinking of other motor options like the 1.6 TD volkwagen or even a 1.9TD.

The turbo diesel is my favorite engine setup so far. I'm very happy we were able to help in bringing back the Keltec kit.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 11:27 AM

I have a set of dual mikuni side drafts sold by Calmini on my 1300 87 block before they started selling the webers. Besides the side drafts I also ran a modified head. This combination was good for about 27 mpg, but had a very poor idle due to the camshaft grind. Power came on about 3000 rpm and pulled hard well over 5000 rpm (setup designed for an aircraft drone project). The negative part was that it would not crawl, even with a GRS transfer case. I think the HP was just about doubled and ran this setup for about 3 years.

I never ran headers and only a 1.5-inch exhaust as per the drone builder's specs. The engine was a real pain to jet properly and hard to tune. I removed it to pass the visual under the hood emissions in Colorado. I want to give it a try again but with my stock 87 head and maybe headers.

LoneZuk

87 Samurai , SPOA 4.375 Hilux axles, GRS

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 12:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

did you say the Keltec kit is available again???

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 10:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We've been communicating with Doug Kelsay about the VW turbo diesel kit since he ceased production. Yes, the kit is coming back into production. It probably won't be until after the first of the year before they're on the shelf ready to go.

The only bummer thing is that there's a possibility that other companies may be breaking signed legal agreements and copying his design. Quite tragic and unethical since he put nearly a year into the engineering on this kit. The kits we will be selling will be officially (and leagally) licensed Keltec AXIS power kits.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Come on Glenn, we have been through this before. There are no signed agreements being busted, and there is no copying being done. Perhaps you should check with Doug on this matter.

Should we talk about some of the major problems that the Keltec kit has? I'd be more then happy to talk about them for you. But you being a Keltec seller, I'm sure you don't want to be honest with any potential customers about these issues, and why the new kit from the other maker will not have these issues. (Becuase it is not a copy.)

Perhaps we should get into where some of the design of the Keltec came from, and how Doug kept this designer out in the cold, and wouldn't even give the guy a discount on parts. Doug was not the first person to think about installing a VW into a Samurai, and he was not the first person to install one, but he was the first person to produce a kit, and my hat is off to him for that. For the most part he did a very good job on the kit, and his instructions are very good.

-Wayne

Glenn writes:
The only bummer thing is that there's a possibility that other companies may be breaking signed legal agreements and copying his design. Quite tragic and unethical since he put nearly a year into the engineering on this kit. The kits we will be selling will be officially (and leagally) licensed Keltec AXIS power kits.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 04:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First Bottom-line, anyone who previously sold Keltec kits, no matter what THEY say, signed the agreement. Doug will confirm this with you if you feel the need. Please do so.

Second bottom-line is that other kits on the market (now or in the future) that are not AXIS Power kits are going to be unlicensed copies. If anyone is involved in the manufacture of these kits that previously sold Keltec kits, they are opening themselves up to litigation. I'm not pointing fingers here at honest businesses, just stating facts.

Finally, I have two of the Keltec kits and haven't had any fitment problems. Its a very complex, well thought-out, and well engineered system.

http:// www.rocky-road.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 06:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK then.. Lets look at some of the issues I had with my Keltec kit.

The setup that the Keltec kit calls out will not keep the motor cool. The mutli-core Suzuki based radiator just isn't up to the task. He leaves this up the the installer to decide how to cure this. Everyone I have talked to has had this issue regardless of which motor, or what environment they are in.

Belt wrap around the crank pulley is horrible. You can't get enough friction on the belt to safely turn your accessories and water pump. Again the is left to the end user to figure out.

So you want to run a diesel engine huh? Ain't all that low end torque great? Sure is.. To bad the low rpm pulses are so strong they actually hammer the Samurai tranny gears. So far I haven't heard of any failures on this front, but expect noise, but you can just tell your passengers that its the motor making that noise.

As far as signing the contract, not all sellers signed.. Infact when the lawyer looked over the contract a comment was made about how big a fool you would have to be to sign such a contract.

As I stated in my last email, Doug was the not first to install a VW, and he holds no patents on it, nor did he give credit to those that helped him along the way..

Lets get to the point, Glenn you are just trying to protect your bottom end by slinging mud. Why don't you go sling some mud at Calmini, I'm sure Steve would thank you for it.

-Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode