Aqualu Aluminum Tub for the Zuki - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2001, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Aqualu Aluminum Tub for the Zuki

Ok,

I spoke with someone from Aqualu last week about making Tubs for the Zuki. If there is enough interest to give them reason to begin manufacturing the tub for the Zuk they will. They started with Toyota Land Cruiser tubs for the 40 and 45 series. Then they added tubes for the Jeep SWB series. Not only do they make tubs they also make aluminum fenders, hoods, tailgates, and windshield frames for these vehicles. I would love to get an all aluminum tub, fenders, hood, etc. for my Zuk. Infact my wife wants us to buy a second Zuk and I would convert that over too. One of the venders is talking about making a fiberglass tub. I prefer metal and the Aqualu tubs are extremely high quality. And all your factory body parts bolt right up as if this tub came from the factory. Including myself I know of two other guys here that prefer aluminum over the fiberglass. I actually wont spend the money for the fiberglass tub. I will spend the money for an Alumunim tub though. Even if you dont want an Aluminum tub how about fenders, hoods, etc made from Aluminum that are the very best quality and fit. If we can get the interest of Aqualu to make a tub those other items are soon to follow. The sami tub is smaller to the Land Cruiser so my guess is the sami tub will run about 1500 USD give or take 150. Before I dropped my FJ45 project (lack of finding a 45 series frame) it was not going to cost me much in shipping for the tub/windshield frame. I am hot for this upgrade. Let me know if others are willing to spend the money too. Or maybe even if you can do it at a later date. I dont belong to any other Samurai lists so maybe folks could also pass the word along to others. I know with the number of Samurai's sold in the USA and Canada we have to have a stronger customer base compared to the LC 40 series crowd and way higher compared to a 45 series truck.

Thanks
Dve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2001, 11:56 PM

Re: Aqualu Aluminum Tub for the Zuki

Until the supply of original Samurai bodies dries up I don't think enough people are going to shell out the money for an aluminum
tub to make it worth the manufacturers time. Since rust free LWB's are getting scarce maybe there'd be some interest in cloning
them in aluminum.It wouldn't be hard to stretch a SWB frame to LWB length. I'd love to build a bob-tailed LWB.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

One of the venders is going to make a fiberglass samurai tub. I am not sure what the cost is but a quality fiberglass tub for a Land Cruiser is the same price as an Aluminum tub. Rust is a factor but so is weight.
Most people running the 1300 or even a 1600 Suzuki motor can compare to a Land Cruiser with the factory six or even the B/3B diesel motors that only had about 90 horse power to begin with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 08:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

For the rust-belt states and a lot of Canada, rust-free tubs are non-existant, unless someone brought it here from down south. So the supply has dried up already. Heck, even my 1994 has a signigicant amount of rot.

I'd go for an aluminium tub over a glass one if they were the same cost, give or take a bit.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 10:45 AM
Can't Get Enough

I agree with the aluminum tub VS. glass. I think the glass would be heavier plus you can't bend it back into shape after a trail damage. I would REALLY be interested in a stretched SWB body to the length of a LWB. You get the wheel base and the inside room with out the bed over hang.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Any high quality fiberglass tub I have looked at for jeeps and land cruisers costs a lot of money. They are running about 2K. Go any cheaper and you get what you paid for...and they dont last. Rocky road is talking about fiberglass tubs. I am not sure what they are going to charge. I cant see a well made 500 usd tub that is going to last. And if the cost is 1000 then why not pay the extra 500 for a metal aluminum tub that is going to be a perfect fit and will last. Im not sure what the weight difference is going to be between a factory tub and an aluminum tub but I know it has to be felt by the stock motor. Also Aqualu has dealers in the States and I have seen the price of their tubs sale for less money at one dealer. Here is another vender for land cruisers and he has both the aluminum tub from Aqualu and the fiberglass tubs. I think these fiberglass parts he sales are from another Canadian company that also makes boats and they do an awesome job with the tubs they make but you can see the cost is more then the aluminum tubs.

http://www.jtoutfitters.com/parts/re.../40/index.html

You will see the two icons at the top of the screen for the two different style of tubs this vender sales for the land cruiser. They have a lot of nice pictures which might give an idea of the quality we could expect if they decide to include the sammi crowd in their lines.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

"I would REALLY be interested in a stretched SWB body to the length of a LWB. You get the wheel base and the inside room with out the bed over hang."

You mean like a bobbed LWB Zuk Bill? I agree, that would be the ultimate body size.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 08:16 PM
Can't Get Enough

Yep exactly, like a CJ-6 instead of a CJ-8, but in samy form. If I ever bought a JEEP it would be a CJ-6.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 08:19 PM

I'd prefer an aluminum tub over a fiberglass but living on the East coast, Aluminum can corrode form the salt air. Still, having once seen a fiberglass Jeep disintegrate as it rolled, I doubt I'd EVER be swayed to go fiberglass. I can still pick up decent tubs in my neck of the woods for under $200.00. They're not perfect but they still have LOTS of life left.

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case, 31 BFG M/T knock offs, extended shackles (1.6 - 8V eventually) AARRRRRRRG!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

"but living on the East coast, Aluminum can corrode form the salt air."

AARRRRRRRG, but Captain can one not paint an aluminum tub???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode