Gearing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 01:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gearing

I'm thinking of going up to 33's. I currently have a 86 hardtop with a 1.6 8v and 4:16 t-case gears running 30' thornbirds. I know that 4.57 R&P would bring me back to around stock. But how bad would it be driving wise without the R&P gears?

LOCO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 12:58 PM

Re: Gearing

This isn't answering your questions, but if memory serves me you live in North Dakota. Wouldn't the big tires and wheels be treacherous on ice? I would think the Thornbirds would be bad too. No matter what tire you go with, I would suggest getting them sipped.

-Farther
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

all depends on what kinda drivin you do! if you drive on the highway and such then you should use around a 4.56 R&P so your revs stay down! otherwise you could run 5.12-5.38's and beat any mustang off the line! bottom line the lower gears you use the more pullin power yet the higher revs you are gonna sacrifice!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 03:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Farther,
Actually the Thornbirds are great in the snow up here (At first I was worried). As it turned out I didn't need to have them sipped and they worked really well.

When I am in 4 wheel drive I am unstoppable . Allot has to do with driving style, we get more packed snow and drifts and the larger tires make for better flotation I really just go over the drifts not really through them. The only time I have gotten stuck was due to my own stupidity. I was showing my brother how well I can go through snow and I idled over a 5 ft deep snow filled ditch, backed up, stopped on the road, then went I have new crawler gears I can go slower. Only I have lots more power and I taped the gas turning the T-birds into big shovels and became instantly high centered. Learned a Lesson that day lower gears are not the best for every thing.

I was planing on going with the high-tec retreads mud tire so they may not need to be sipped but if need they will be. Does any one experience in the snow with these tires?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2001, 03:12 AM
Can't Get Enough

I run the GRSII gear case with 33" BFG's, you might be ok still, but YOU WON'T be any kind of race car. Street wise will depend on what tire you chose, Remember a swamper/thornbird is a heck of a lotta weight to be pushing with the 4:16 case. If I we're you I'd go for 4:62's if you get any kind of a heavy tire.

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 09:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

To answer your question, it would be pretty bad with just the tcase gears. Certainly you could drive it around, but you would completely lose 5th gear. 4th gear would be all but gone except for downhills. You'd find that 3rd gear was now your equivalent of 5th gear stock. 1st and 2nd would be equally affected. Its likely to cost you a clutch or two if you drive around too long without some axle gears. Guaranteed at some point you'd really be wanting for some new gears.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 11:37 AM
I Do This For The Glory

After this past weekend, the lower the better. I drove mxnhid's 1.6 with the GRS I and 5.12's, and it ripped down the road. His wife also followed me back (part of the Zuk train headed east) and cruising at 65 was no problem.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 12:45 PM

Actually Mark that was a 16v with a grs-1 and stock gears. My rig has the 5.12's and 1.3 stocker with a grs 8.8 (really a one) and it crawls good, but im not about to put it up on a line against a mustang?? Im confused now. Its not fast on the bottom end either, but it pulls really good. I could probably pull my foot out of my mouth if i tried hard enough...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2001, 01:03 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Sorry, I thought you changed gears in it as well. It sucked then, slower than a dog...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode