Considering a Sammy... which one do I get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Considering a Sammy... which one do I get?

Well, hopefully the ford guys don't see my post this, but here it goes.
I've been thinking about building an offroad-only vehicle, but I need to be able to pull it behind my truck. I considered jeep (NO!) and toyota's but they're still too heavy for my POS tranny. So then I saw a samurai going down the road and it hit me...Zuki! I was reading through some of the posts and saw a guy with one in the BED OF HIS CHEVY! How much do these things weigh? I don't want to modify it much, just hack out the fenders, 3" body lift or so, and have a hill-climbing and jumping toy.. maybe a little mud for kicks. I ran into a guy one time with two of these in his yard and I asked him how he liked them and he said, well hell boy, they're just 4 wheelers with tops for when it rains... sounded good to me.

ANYWAY, assuming they're light enough to drag (on a trailer probably) behind the bronco, which models/years/equipment should I look for? I should probably do more research on here but I'm busy researching my other projects (bronco and custom amphibious vehicle) so if you can give me some info or point me to a web site that'd be great. Thanks.

BTW, don't tell the ford guys that I was here... it'll be the end of me ;-)

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 10:01 PM

Re: Considering a Sammy... which one do I get?

i flat tow my zook (soft top weight probably around 1800) with a toyota tacoma (V6)... i can hardly tell its back there, so you shouldnt have any problem towing one either

as far as equipment goes, you are probably best getting a stocker and going from there.... cheaper that way too

i beleive that anything after and including 91 is FI, anything before that is carbed

i prefer the pre 88 because i like the way the interior is laid out a little better... there really isnt too much difference as far as running gear goes through out the entire line... any mod will fit any year model, as far as i know

they all came from the factory with basically the same equipment, so just go out and find a cheap one!

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think sammies are a good idea for anything cause there cheap to build and cheap all around! We do have limits with power but it pays off in lightness! I have had the same tires on there for like 4 years now and they are still kickin! pullin about 25+ MPG and luvin it!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Man, that was easier than I expected! 1800 lbs! you've got to be kidding me. My boat is heavier than that and I don't notice it when I pull it (till i hit the brakes). Cool, flat tow is cool unless I break something big time on the trail, but hopefully I'll hook up with a crew around here and that will become a non-issue. One thing I'm wondering about is parts. Do they stock stuff for these at AutoZone etc or do I have to go to a special parts place? If I'm gonna get into big bucks replacing things then I'd rather get an atv, but this Sammy idea sounds much more fun and 'interesting'. Are these things solid axle front and rear? And if I step up into bigger tires (33's, say) will I need to change gears, or is there enough power down low to get it going up hills? I'll probably never leave 4lo anyway, so if it's got some torque there then that's all I need. Thanks for the help, I'll get back with you guys if I end up getting one (I just thought of it like 3 hours ago so who knows....).

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I flat tow my longwheelbase Samurai all the time (bit heavier and has a hardtop for added weight) with a '97 2-door Tahoe. I barely feel it behind me even when I brake so you should be in the same ballpark with your Bronco. I don't think you'll have trouble finding basic tune-up/maintenance parts at Autozone or Napa, and there is increasingly more aftermarket support every year. You'll definately need gears if you're thinking 33s. There are plenty of options with gearing but I'll let the more knowledgeable guys here help you through all that.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 11:22 PM

I think the weight of a stocker is closer to 2000 lbs. As far as parts go,most of the common stuff is available at auto parts stores.
Even the pieces you have to get from the dealer are relatively cheap. There are also several mail order businesses that specialize
in used parts.
Samurai's have live axles front and rear,they're strong enough for 33" tires,marginal if you add lockers.The 1.3 liter engine makes
66HP and doesn't have much low end. You'll probably want to get some reduction gears for the larger tires,it's easiest to do this
at the transfercase,it only costs $400-$450 for the gearset.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 12:18 AM

Muddy- this is a great place to get information on ZUKS. there is a great aftermarket world out there dealing with our little BIG trucks as well. Check out WWW.IZOOK.COM, which is a great site that has a TON of info on how to's and tech, as well as new products which are tested and evaluated by the staff, which is made up of all ZUK drivers. Can ya tell that I am a staff??? I will be more than happy to give ya ideas if i can. Reach me thru e-mail at [email protected]
good luck I hope that you find a nice Zuk to tear up the trails in!
Raechelle Champoux
TRAILS EDITOR
IZOOK.COM

86 SAMMY
33"BFG MTA'S, YJ rear, 3"rears up front, w/breeze droplinks, breeze crossover steering & track bar, DT shocks, locked f&R, 4.16 case, weber, header...HUSBAND BUILT AND WIFE DRIVEN...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 01:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Zuks with 33's work very well on the trail! If you go SPOA and a 3" body lift you should be able to fit them. It is very easy to make your own lift for the Zuks, but if you arnt into the fab. stuff then there are lots of venders that sale lift kits and stuff. With the 33's you might want to get a gear set like said above. I know some guys that have 33's on with the stock gears, they seem to like it. But, go through clutches very fast! Lots of good guys here that will help ya out if you get one. very good little vehicle! Later

-Brian

ULTIMATE ZUK
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 02:27 AM
Can't Get Enough

Eric, the year model of Samurai does not make a LOT of difference... just find one in the best mechanical condition. There are carbed models ('86-'89) and throttle body EFI models('90-'95). The carbed models are a lot more common in the US because there were so many more Zuks sold prior to Consumer Reports painting them as prone to roll easy in the late 80s.

Where in central Arkansas are you? I live in Fordyce.

[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 03:45 AM

I have a V6 Tacoma and tow mine on a car dolly. It does pretty well. On flat highway I don't really notice it there other than I can't take it over 65 or it starts to sway. Braking and hills I notice it though.

I believe that a stock zuk softtop weighs in at around 2100 pounds. I haven't tried weighing mine, but I think it comes in somewhere around 2600 pounds with the larger tires and lots of steel.

If you decide to run 33's you will need to regear. You also might start busting axles and birfields with that much tire. The general consensus is that anything larger than 31's and you will break stuff (this does depend upon driving style also).

I haven't really tried taking mine on much hills, but it handles everything else really well (much better than most people expect from these little "toys"). I don't think they are really suited for steep hills though because of the short wheelbase.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode