Help... Idle erratically and die - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 02:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help... Idle erratically and die

1988 Samurai

I am looking at problems with my Sammy's idling. The zuke idles up and down a couple of times and then eventually dies. When driving the truck bogs and gets power and bogs and gets power. This happens in every gear. I have looked at the electrical, coil good, battery good, cap good, wires good, new plugs. Looked at the fuel, pump good, lines seem to be good, filter repalced last year. I have looked at hte EGR valve, the PCV valve and look good. Timing belt not slipping, no vacume leaks that I can see or hear, caburetor sprayed and cleaned.
I have attached a pic of the front of my carb. The arrow points to a spring loaded lever that I have no idea what it does but if I push down on the lever the truck runs normally. Can anyone tell me whats going on?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-552339-carb1.jpg (78.4 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help... Idle erratically and die

i'll take a look at my Zuk and double check, but from what you describe, it sounds like that is part of the choke element...if it isn't working properly, the carb is runnig either very rich, or very lean depending on which position it is stuck in...check your plugs, if they're fouled bad, it's rich...i'll get back to you after i double check if it is the choke or not

NastyPimp
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 03:54 PM
Alfie

Look down on the frame rail by the fuel tank and you'll find an in line filter. Replace it if you haven't already. It can be like fitting a new carby.
Alfie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2001, 05:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The lever you are looking at is the actuator lever for the idle position microswitch. I had a similar problem although mine didn't stall but stumbbled and I found a leaky intake manifold gasket. While it is running bad spray carb cleaner along the intake gasket area. Also try it around the base of the carb.It will smooth out when the cleaner clogs the leak. Another thing to check is the O2 sensor make sure that is working but it sounds like vaccum leak to me. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2001, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1988 Samurai

I have just found out that the float level is way too high. The gas line appears at the top of the float window on the front of the carb. I would like to adjust it but I don't know how and the instructions aren't helping. The instructions I have are.
1) Remove the air horn and invert it (Where is the air horn?)
2) Measure the distance between the float and the gasketed surface of the air horn. The measured distance is float level, and it should be the specification. If the float level is out of specification, adjust it by bending the tongue up or down. (Where is the Tongue?)

Attached is a pic of the Float window

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-553052-carb2.jpg (81.0 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode